Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need a TvTuner Program That Can Record Movies. I tried KdeTV but it has no recording option. I tried XawTV But When i click record nothing happens , also ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I need a program for TvTuner

I need a TvTuner Program That Can Record Movies.
    I tried KdeTV but it has no recording option.
    I tried XawTV But When i click record nothing happens , also it records only as avi (if it can record,but it cant).
    I tried moTV but it gives me a message "error [init]".
    I tried zapping but it has no recording option.

i want a good program for FlyTv LifeView TvTuner that has a recording option.

How 'bout MythTV?
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    The kmplayer frontend for mplayer is working for me with wintv pvr 150 card and ivtv driver. No setup or tweaking required. I saved /dev/video as a kmplayer bookmark as well as record.avi (the default name for the recorded file) as a bookmark. I can watch the output as it's recorded, but not watch one program while recording another, and there's no timer for record. I gave up on mythtv after a month of ripping my hair out and driving my head through the drywall. I am convinced mythtv is a cruel joke. MYTH tv, get it? The kmplayer options menu give you the choice of mencoder, ffmpeg, Mplayer-dumpstream or xine for recording. They all worked except xine. This was the only player that worked, i tried kdetv, xawtv, tvtime, and of course the mythical mythtv.
    If you want to make a dvd from your recording, mandvd and kmediafactory both worked out of the box, too, for me.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    You could try TVtime or Kalva.

Linux Engineer
    Mplayer should do just fine, a gui like kmplayer or one of the others if you want it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by iHateRegistering
    The kmplayer frontend for mplayer is working for me with wintv pvr 150 card and ivtv driver. No setup or tweaking required. I saved /dev/video as a kmplayer bookmark as well as record.avi (the default name for the recorded file) as a bookmark. I can watch the output as it's recorded, but not watch one program while recording another, and there's no timer for record. I gave up on mythtv after a month of ripping my hair out and driving my head through the drywall. I am convinced mythtv is a cruel joke. MYTH tv, get it? The kmplayer options menu give you the choice of mencoder, ffmpeg, Mplayer-dumpstream or xine for recording. They all worked except xine. This was the only player that worked, i tried kdetv, xawtv, tvtime, and of course the mythical mythtv.
    If you want to make a dvd from your recording, mandvd and kmediafactory both worked out of the box, too, for me.
    when i start recording this message appear on the bottom "mplayer not running"
    and the avi file size is 0 Bytes

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar_SuSE
    when i start recording this message appear on the bottom "mplayer not running"
    and the avi file size is 0 Bytes
    Do you mean the mplayer works for watching tv but you can't record? Did you try the other recording backends in the kmplayer record options? Do you have mencoder or ffmpeg installed?

Just Joined!
    yes, but what is ffmpeg and mencoder ?

Just Joined!
    If you run "type mencoder" and "type ffmpeg" , or "whereis mencoder" and "whereis ffmpeg" you will get the directory they're in, if installed.
    mencoder might be part of the mplayer install, but I'm not sure.
    Kinda strange that kmplayer will play the stream but not record.
    Try running "mplayer /dev/video" in the terminal, and you may get some helpful error messages.
    Same with "kmplayer /dev/video" in term to start the player, then see what's returned in the terminal when you click the record button.