Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to install Java JRE for my Mozilla and Opera browsers. Here is the commands I have been using: Code: [tristan@localhost tmp]$ chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586-rpm.bin [tristan@localhost tmp]$ ./j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586-rpm.bin ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Problems installing Java

I've been trying to install Java JRE for my Mozilla and Opera browsers. Here is the commands I have been using:

Code:
    [tristan@localhost tmp]$ chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    [tristan@localhost tmp]$ ./j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    Unpacking...
    Checksumming...
    Extracting...
    UnZipSFX 5.40 of 28 November 1998, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu).
      inflating: j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.rpm
    Done.
    [tristan@localhost tmp]$ su
    Password:
    [root@localhost tmp]# rpm -iv j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.rpm
    Preparing packages for installation...
            package j2re-1.4.2_04-fcs is already installed
    Why does it say it is already installed? I go in to Mozilla and go to "aboutlugins: and nothing is listed, same for Opera. I've tried using the self-extracting BIN file as well as the RPM as you can see above. Nothing seems to work. I've followed the instructions on the java.sun.com site. Can anyone help?

Linux Guru

Re: Problems installing Java

Quote Originally Posted by tristanlee85
    I've been trying to install Java JRE for my Mozilla and Opera browsers. Here is the commands I have been using:

Code:
    [tristan@localhost tmp]$ chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    [tristan@localhost tmp]$ ./j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    Unpacking...
    Checksumming...
    Extracting...
    UnZipSFX 5.40 of 28 November 1998, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu).
      inflating: j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.rpm
    Done.
    [tristan@localhost tmp]$ su
    Password:
    [root@localhost tmp]# rpm -iv j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.rpm
    Preparing packages for installation...
            package j2re-1.4.2_04-fcs is already installed
    Why does it say it is already installed? I go in to Mozilla and go to "aboutlugins: and nothing is listed, same for Opera. I've tried using the self-extracting BIN file as well as the RPM as you can see above. Nothing seems to work. I've followed the instructions on the java.sun.com site. Can anyone help?
    Its a stupid RPM thing i remember reading something about on the linux.redhat newsgroup.
    I think you would need to run:
    Code:
    rpm -iv j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586
    (without the .rpm extension).

Jason

Linux Newbie
    [tristan@localhost tmp]$ rpm -iv j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586
    error: open of j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586 failed: No such file or directory
    [tristan@localhost tmp]$

Is it possible to use the 'rpm' command uninstall something? i can try to uninstall it.

Linux Newbie
    I've been messing with the RPM and BIN file. Nothing seems to be working. I installed Opera thinking I could have the Java version, but I guess not. Any others thoughts?

Linux Engineer
    Do you have java installed? That package looks like a Fedora Core thing but ... nontheless, just try "which javac" and post the results here.

If it is already installed, then it's fine. If it's not, we can deal with this another way.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    First off to see if you have java installed type "apropos java". You should get some out put similar to

c++filt (1) - Demangle C++ and Java symbols
    gcj (1) - Ahead-of-time compiler for the Java l
    gcjh (1) - generate header files from Java class
    gij (1) - GNU interpreter for Java bytecode
    jar (1) - archive tool for Java archives
    java (1) - Java interpreter
    javaws (1) - Java Web Start command launcher
    jcf-dump (1) - print information about Java class fi
    jv-scan (1) - print information about Java source f
    rmiregistry (1) - Java remote object registry
    servertool (1) - The Java(TM) IDL Server Tool
    tnameserv (1) - Java IDL name server starter script

If itís been installed, make sure that all of the steps below have been done.
    If itís not installed the easiest way is to use Sun's Java RPM:
    Go to the Java Runtime Download Page. http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
    Scroll down and find the line that says "Linux RPM in self-extracting file." Click on the "Download" link in the JRE column. (If you want to develop Java software get the SDK, and alter the rest of these directions appropriately. Also set export JDK_HOME="$JAVA_HOME" in the java.sh below.)
    Scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit "Accept."
    Click on the big link to download. Save the file in your home directory. The download will take a little while.
    Open a Terminal.
    Type "sh j2re*rpm.bin "
    Become root. (su -)
    Type "rpm -Uvh j2re-*.rpm" -- there will be a bit of whirring.
    Create a file called "java.sh" in "/etc/profile.d/" (If you're not too sure about how to do this, the easiest way is gedit /etc/profile.d/java.sh)
    This file should contain the following lines (with the first line modified appropriately, according to what's actually in /usr/java/):

export JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_02"
    export JAVA_PATH="$JAVA_HOME"
    export PATH="$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin"

Type "chmod +x /etc/profile.d/java.sh"
    Java should now work properly. You will need to log in and log out for some things to function properly.

To install the browser plugin for java, as root, type:
    "ln -sf /usr/java/<YourJavaDirectory>/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" -- note that you need to replace <YourJavaDirectory> with the name of the actual directory that's there.

Linux Newbie
    Well, I got it to install. I searched google and found instructions for installing the SDK version. So, even though I won't use that, the JRE was still install along with SDK. So, it's all installed and Mozilla recognizes it in 'aboutlugins" and java fills up the page. Now, what about configuring it with Opera? The JRE plugin is something similar to 'libjavaplugin_oji.so' and Opera looks for 'libjava.so' and 'libawt.so'. Does JRE 1.4.2_04 have those 2 files included somewhere that I can just copy to Opera's plugin directory?