Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi This problem is distribution independent as I am facing it on fedora 3, suse 10.0 and mandrake 10.0 but I am quite sure it has something to do with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Browser crashing......

Hi

This problem is distribution independent as I am facing it on fedora 3, suse 10.0 and mandrake 10.0 but I am quite sure it has something to do with linux as I am not facing it on Solaris 10 or Windows XP SP2. The problem is that my browsers (Firefox 1.5 on all including windows and solaris), Mozilla (1.7.2 on all including windows and solaris) and Konqueror (many versions depending upon distro) crash arbitarily (as in they crash at random times and I have not been able to associate my actions (user inputs) to these crashes). They are also window manager/display manager independent as they would crash on KDE, GNOME or Windowmaker too (or KDM, MDM, GDM, XDM too). I recieve no crash notification from the window managers or these browsers. This problem is only with the browsers and is independent of the website I am viewing and has been observed since a week only and the browsers were running fine earlier. Memtest shows my memory running fine. Please suggest me some solution or source of the problem (could it be a virus?). Please ask for more info in case you need it, I would provide that too.

Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!
    It is really strange.. hmmm, did you install browsers manually or you use default browsers..? And what did you install (on that PCs) during last week?

Thanks for the reply.

I installed only firefox manually only on Fedora Core 3 because the version included with the installation CDs was 1.0.5 (very old) and on Mandrake (because it was not included) but on SUSE it was installed from before (as in installed during the installation). But other browsers (mozilla, konqueror) were pre-installed on all distros.

And I have not installed anything on my system for about 2-3 weeks now.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

What kinds of extensions and plugins do you have installed for the browsers?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Hi and thanks. Here is the info you asked:

On Mozilla Firefox: NoScript, Ad-block Plus and Forecast fox
    On Mozilla: None
    On Konqueror: None.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure it will work in your case, but I've had luck in the past by deleting my .mozilla in my home directory and then restarting Firefox.

It's worth a try...
    oz

check plugins in .mozilla folder. Flash Plugins creates problems most of the time. move its files and check if it works.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Like devils_casper mentioned, it could be flash. If you DefaultDepth in your xorg.conf (in the Screen section) is not 24, flash can crash FF. I don't remember it happening with 7 but it does with 9 beta.

Have you tried disabling/removing the plugins to see if that helps?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Hmmm.....followrd your advice of removing .mozilla directory. It seems to work. Browsing since few hours and till now the browser has not crashed. Thanks....will follow up if the problem repeats itself. What could be the possible problem by the way?

To Bryan: I was not using any of the plugins for mozilla (only using for firefox) so I don't think plugins are the problem.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike