Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I try to make gtk-sharp, make tells me that csc.exe cannot be executed. ------------------------------------- $ make make all-recursive make[1]: Entering directory `/home/weeniewhite/download/gtk-sharp-2.4.2' Making all in sources make[2]: Entering directory ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't make gtk-sharp 2.4.2

When I try to make gtk-sharp, make tells me that csc.exe cannot be executed.

-------------------------------------

$ make
    make all-recursive
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/weeniewhite/download/gtk-sharp-2.4.2'
    Making all in sources
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/weeniewhite/download/gtk-sharp-2.4.2/sources'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/weeniewhite/download/gtk-sharp-2.4.2/sources'
    Making all in generator
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/weeniewhite/download/gtk-sharp-2.4.2/generato
    r'
    /usr/bin/csc.exe /out:gapi_codegen.exe ./AliasGen.cs ./BoxedGen.cs ./ByRefGen.c
    s ./CallbackGen.cs ./ChildProperty.cs ./ClassBase.cs ./ClassGen.cs ./CodeGenerat
    or.cs ./ConstFilenameGen.cs ./ConstStringGen.cs ./Ctor.cs ./EnumGen.cs ./FieldBa
    se.cs ./GenBase.cs ./GenerationInfo.cs ./HandleBase.cs ./IAccessor.cs ./IGenerat
    able.cs ./IManualMarshaler.cs ./ImportSignature.cs ./InterfaceGen.cs ./LPGen.cs
    ./LPUGen.cs ./ManagedCallString.cs ./ManualGen.cs ./MarshalGen.cs ./MethodBase.c
    s ./MethodBody.cs ./Method.cs ./ObjectField.cs ./ObjectBase.cs ./ObjectGen.cs ./
    OpaqueGen.cs ./Parameters.cs ./Parser.cs ./Property.cs ./PropertyBase.cs ./Retur
    nValue.cs ./Signal.cs ./Signature.cs ./SimpleBase.cs ./SimpleGen.cs ./Statistics
    .cs ./StructBase.cs ./StructField.cs ./StructGen.cs ./SymbolTable.cs ./VirtualMe
    thod.cs ./VMSignature.cs
    /usr/bin/csc.exe: /usr/bin/csc.exe: cannot execute binary file
    make[2]: *** [gapi_codegen.exe] Error 126
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/weeniewhite/download/gtk-sharp-2.4.2/generator
    '
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/weeniewhite/download/gtk-sharp-2.4.2'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

-----------------------------------

How can I make it run?

According to this thread, csc is the C# compiler that comes with MS .NET SDK. It is needed to build the class libraries.

What distro are you using? Have you checked your package manager for gtk#?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    I'm using Arch linux 0.7.1 Noodle. I tried to download gtk#, mono, monodevelop, etc with my package manager(pacman).

But since I use an old arch linux version, I can't install packages from internet with pacman. I would have to upgrade all the system with pacman and try monodevelop. The problem is that I use a 56k which likes to disconnect automatically.

Using ./configure in gtk-share's dictionary gave me an error. I needed csc.exe. So I took a friend's csc.exe file who uses arch linux. But I can't run it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've used Arch Linux before - is it not hard to maintain an Arch system without a consistent network connection?

Anyway, back to gtk#. What package proivides csc? Download that package and install it. You may be missing files from the package.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    I've found the packages I needed on distro.biblio.org and it works now. Thanks anyway.

Just Joined!

same problem

Quote Originally Posted by weeniewhite
    I've found the packages I needed on distro.biblio.org and it works now. Thanks anyway.
    I have exactly the same problem. What packages did you use?

Paul