Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I know that I am not the only one who has had Mplayer problems. I am a newbie and have tried reading the articles on the internet, various ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Not able to play streaming media through Mplayer in Mandriva Powerpack 2007

Hi everyone, I know that I am not the only one who has had Mplayer problems. I am a newbie and have tried reading the articles on the internet, various forums like mandrivausers.org and linuxquestions.org, but I have not been able to solve my problem. I will provide a description of the problem I face regarding Mplayer.

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Opera 9.1. I have mplayer-1.0-1.pre8.13plf2007.0 and mplayerplugin-3.25-2mdv2007.0 installed. When I try to open any streaming video (for example on cbsnews.com), I get the error "Could not find an appropriate hxplay or realplay in the system path to use as an embedded player". Let me mention here that the error message I am getting now has changed from what I used to get. This is because I had uninstalled mplayer and mozplugger. I did not remove other files related to these applications if they were not taken care of during the unistallation as I didn't know where they would be. Anyways, before uninstallation, the error I used to get was "Mozplugger: No appropriate application found." After reinstalling the above mentioned versions of mplayer and mplayerplugin (and of course mozplugger), the error message has changed. I have copied the codecs and other *.so files from and to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, /usr/lib/mozilla firefox 2/plugins, etc. but I haven't found the solution. I would greatly appreciate if I can get help regarding this. I would be glad to start everything from scratch too if it can help in solving this problem. I am posting the output of a command I found over the internet to let you know what I have installed with regards to mplayer:

[root@linux codecs]# rpm -qa 'mplayer*' | sort
    mplayer-1.0-1.pre8.13plf2007.0
    mplayer-fonts-1.0-12mdv2007.0
    mplayerplugin-3.25-2mdv2007.0
    mplayerplugin-debug-3.25-2mdk

Thanks.

Which distro are you using?Where did you get these files?
    Did you use a package manager like yum or apt-get to install them??
    The reason I ask is because to me, it looks like you might have files from different distro's:
    mplayer-1.0-1.pre8.13plf2007.0
    mplayer-fonts-1.0-12mdv2007.0
    mplayerplugin-3.25-2mdv2007.0
    mplayerplugin-debug-3.25-2mdk
    Or is it ok to use packages from mandrake, while using Mandriva?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Isn't mandrake and mandriva the same? I understand what you are saying as far as plf , mdv and mdk are concerned but I think mdv and plf are nothing but the repositories or the places where you can get updates for mandriva. As I mentioned, I am a newbie and this is the idea I have about main, contrib and plf. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for your response.

Yes, Mandriva is based on Mandrake.
    but I think mdv and plf are nothing but the repositories or the places where you can get updates for mandriva
    As long as you got all the packages from a Mandriva repo you should be ok there. Is there any chance that you added your own repos to update from? If you did that could be the problem too (mixing repos).
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I have an update:

The error about the video not being played because it did not find a realplay or hxplay is gone now as I re-installed realplayer. I can play real videos now, which I could play even earlier before uninstalling realplayer. I unsitalled realplayer so that mplayer could become my default player for online media. So now, I can play real videos (although I can't expand the screen to full screen), but I can't play windows media video. When I try to play windows media video, the mplayer screen loads in the window of the video and it syas it's loading the video but nothing loads. Any suggestions?

Answer to your query:

For mandriva, I guess there are three update sources, as I understood from the messages on mandrivausers.org and any of the sources can be used to update the software application. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.