Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello friends~!! i have just very recently started to use mandrake 9 and was wondering what programs i can use to replace the ones i used on my (now mandrake) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which programs?

hello friends~!!

i have just very recently started to use mandrake 9 and was wondering what programs i can use to replace the ones i used on my (now mandrake) winxp machine.

nothing overly complicated... but just things like email... filesharing...image manipulation... video editing and such...
    what are the names of a few good programs to replace such functions?
    or should i just get WINE and like run photoshop and premiere from there?

Just Joined!

Re: Which programs?

Well for email I use Mozillas Mail Manager you can find it under the window section of your mozilla browser. For Image manipulation I use Gimp. Don't know what to tell you on video editing I imagine its there. I just never had a need to use it. I use kazaa lite for file sharing run under wine.

Linux Engineer
    Evolution is a good clone of outlook.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I hate evolution! I tried to use it and every time I deleted something it just put a line threw it and would never get rid of it so pretty soon I had 50 emails with lines threw them that I had to go past to get to the new emails. I really don't like it.

Linux Engineer
    You should learn how to use it then.

Linux User

Re: Which programs?

Quote Originally Posted by an4rch1s7
    hello friends~!!

i have just very recently started to use mandrake 9 and was wondering what programs i can use to replace the ones i used on my (now mandrake) winxp machine.

nothing overly complicated... but just things like email... filesharing...image manipulation... video editing and such...
    what are the names of a few good programs to replace such functions?
    or should i just get WINE and like run photoshop and premiere from there?
    For email, i like the mozilla mail, and for filesharing you can use gtk-gnutella. download it from Http://gtk-gnutella.sf.net. Also, for image manipulation, you can use gimp. And a replacement for illustrator, you can check out sketch.
    Film editing, well there is plenty to go, but for DV editing, chek out Kino.

Search the programm names at freshmeat.net

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Geez didn't realize there was something special to it. Right click select delete and that should be about it in my opinion. I didn't no the delete option needed specifics. Seems to me delete means delete. Not put a stupid line through it and leave it.

Linux Engineer
    Go to actions menu and choose expunge. It deletes all messages marked for deletion.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for info now maybe I will install it again and give it a go.

Linux Guru
    For file sharing, I recommend the Direct Connect clone dc-gui.

I must promote evolution very much either. It might very well be a good thing if you use its entire functionality, but if you (like me) are looking for just an email client, there are much better stuff out there, like kmail. I, too, don't like the deletion scheme that evolution uses. Although I knew of the expunge option, it's quite annoying to have to use it every time you delete a spam (now I use spamassassin, so spam usually isn't a problem anymore, but anyway), especially when it takes about a second or so to actually expunge the message. I would like to use emacs as my email client, but the rmail extension wasn't as good as I had expected. Does someone know of a better one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast