Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install vbox. The install went fine and creating a img went fine however I am having issuse starting a virtual machine. When I try to start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Any vbox users out there?

I am trying to install vbox. The install went fine and creating a img went fine however I am having issuse starting a virtual machine. When I try to start it up I get this error.

VirtualBox kernel driver not accessible, permission problem.
    At '/home/vbox/vbox/src/VBox/VMM/VM.cpp' (303) in int VMR3Create(void (*)(VM*, void*, int, const char*, unsigned int, const char*, const char*, char*), void*, int (*)(VM*, void*), void*, VM**).
    VBox status code: -1909 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE

Result Code:
    0x80004005
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

Seeing as how I'm very new to linux un general I have NO idea how to go about correcting this. Any help would be much appericated!

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollotamasi
    I am trying to install vbox. The install went fine and creating a img went fine however I am having issuse starting a virtual machine. When I try to start it up I get this error.

VirtualBox kernel driver not accessible, permission problem.
    At '/home/vbox/vbox/src/VBox/VMM/VM.cpp' (303) in int VMR3Create(void (*)(VM*, void*, int, const char*, unsigned int, const char*, const char*, char*), void*, int (*)(VM*, void*), void*, VM**).
    VBox status code: -1909 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE

Result Code:
    0x80004005
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

Seeing as how I'm very new to linux un general I have NO idea how to go about correcting this. Any help would be much appericated!

Thanks!
    I'm using VirtualBox in PCLinuxOS - it's included in the repo with the new 2007 Test Release 3. It installed perfectly in Synaptic, and I installed XP Pro very easily (and I'm still quite a Linewbie). All the Win applications I've installed so far work correctly and normally - McMedia Fireworks MX2004, Irfanview, Sygate Personal Firewall Pro.

It seems FAR better than using Wine or Crossover Office - the apps just work!

However there is still a USB support problem with the open source version, which is a great shame, but one of the VBox developers is quoted as saying that USB will be fixed on the open source version in the future.

My Virtual XP connected perfectly to the web, piggy-backing the broadband wireless Linux connection. What's more it passed the "Shields Up!" test at grc.com with full green flags - both the common ports and all ports. XP in its own partition never did that.

I've still got more testing to do, but early results are excellent.

If you're serious about trying VirtualBox, put a copy of PCLinuxOS TR3 on a computer and download VB from Synaptic.

Here's a nice video of PCLinuxOS running XP Pro in virtualisation using VirtualBox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzyHoRklWLE