Find the answer to your Linux question:
Wait, so GAIM supports MSN Messenger? How does this work? Can you do video conferencing like you can on normal MSN Messenger also? ::Moderator Note:: This thread was broken off ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wait, so GAIM supports MSN Messenger? How does this work? Can you do video conferencing like you can on normal MSN Messenger also?

::Moderator Note:: This thread was broken off from an unrelated topic here:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/win...inux-wine.html
    Last edited by techieMoe; 01-22-2007 at 07:47 PM.

No, you can't do video stuff. I think that amsn can though
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Well, it works basically by itself. There are many features for MSN that are not implemented in GAIM though but all the basics like watching other peoples' display pictures and writing with your buddies are available.
    You cannot have those funny "blinks" that MSN provide but who needs them anyway?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    No, you can't do video stuff. I think that amsn can though
    Thanks guys

I am a Marine and I keep in touch with my family when I am overseas via video conferencing using MSN and/or Skype and I noticed there was a debian packet for Skype on Ubuntu, does Skype on linux support video conferencing? I am currently in Germany and everything on the Skype page is in German so I can't read on to find out. I am going to try that out since msn on GAIM doesn't do video conferencing and I already have a Skype account.

Thanks again

sorry, skype video is only supported on windows (no mac even). It looks like amsn does support webcams (it is a msn client and there should be a ubuntu package). The only option would be for you to use ekiga. It works with the windows video chat program (netmeeting). Netmeeting is installed on windows by default, although with xp it is hidden.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/netmeeting/
    http://www.meetingbywire.com/XPNetMeeting.htm
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I found out Skype on linux doesn't support video conferencing. However, I will have to say that Skype for mac does support video conferencing. The video is still in beta, but Skype on mac will do video conferencing provided you have a webcam that osx supports (like one of the built in ones, or the iSight). I have amsn installed, but I need to get my webcam and microphone working before I can go any further with it.

Just Joined!
    Newer versions of Kopete also support video. It definitely works on MSN; I haven't tried any others.