Find the answer to your Linux question:
For some reason, I cannot play any DVDs and some streaming video in Totem. I am running the version that came with the Ubuntu 6.10 distrobution. I believe it may ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Totem Movie Player

For some reason, I cannot play any DVDs and some streaming video in Totem. I am running the version that came with the Ubuntu 6.10 distrobution. I believe it may be that I need to install codecs, anyone knowhow to do this?

Thanks

Make sure you have libdvdcss, this is the CSS decryption library that allows for dvd playback, you may also need libdvdread, if you have these then it may be a permission problem. Most applications expect to find /dev/dvd, this is a symlink to the actual device, /dev/hdd for example, chmod 666 on the actual device should be sufficient to allow access.

The above two libraries are all you need to play dvds, there are no codecs you need for it, apart from what the dvd uses that is, and that should be mpeg2, which should be supported by every player under the sun.

Just Joined!
    EasyUbuntu might be an easier way of getting codecs.

Run the following commands in console in this order:

wget http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/fi...u-3.023.tar.gz
    tar -zxf easyubuntu-3.023.tar.gz
    cd easyubuntu
    cp packagelist-dapper.pot packagelist-edgy.pot
    cp packagelist-dapper.xml packagelist-edgy.xml
    sudo python easyubuntu.in

If all goes well a GUI will load and you can select to automatically download and install all the codecs you need.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close