Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings. I have Ubuntu 6.06 and currently I have mplayer and totem on my system but I cannot seem to read DVDs, I put them in and totem comes up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post how can I play DVDs?

Greetings.

I have Ubuntu 6.06 and currently I have mplayer and totem on my system but I cannot seem to read DVDs, I put them in and totem comes up but says:
    "Totem cannot play this type of media (DVD) because you do not have the appropriate plugins to handle it."
    when I use mplayer, I cannot seem to find a single file to run the movie, it shows me every file on the disc but none of them seem to play the movie.
    is there a quick and easy way to watch DVDs on my Ubuntu system?
    thanks.

you have to install restircted codecs for playing DVDs.
    best way is, download 'Automatix' and install Non Free Audio/Video Codecs through it
    OR
    install restricted formats manually through Synaptic.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Thanks Casper, as always you are a great help. I downloaded the codec and it works now with totem, question though, since it says these are non free codec, who do I have to pay?

also, under the ubuntu help forum I have a threat asking help on making backups of my DVDs, so far nothing seems to work, do you have any ideas?

I downloaded the codec and it works now with totem, question though, since it says these are non free codec, who do I have to pay?
    you dont have to pay to anyone. Those codecs are free for Home PC Users.
    also, under the ubuntu help forum I have a threat asking help on making backups of my DVDs, so far nothing seems to work, do you have any ideas?
    i will check that thread.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First