Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
As a technology challenged old man ( getting fat on the Internet at wee hours of the morning ) I have a perplexing problem. In the daytime I can put ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I hope there is a simple CD solution at LinuxForums!

As a technology challenged old man ( getting fat on the Internet at wee hours of the morning ) I have a perplexing problem. In the daytime I can put a CD into the CD player on the other side of the room I'm in while my computer is booting up.

However at 3:00AM I want to be able to put a CD into my HP a532x computer and plug in the headphones and listen to music that no one else will be disturbed by. I have a Banshee music player on my Suse 10 OS but I have to put the music into a music file and then look for it before Banshee will play it through the computer.

What I need is a CD program that will play a CD right away with very few procedures. Does such a Linux software program exist somewhere? Thanks!!

SoundJuicer can play from CD's. I'm sure many others can too, but that's what pops up when I put the CD in.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

Something like KsCD
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I use kaffeine.
    Pete

I am not doing something or doing something the wrong way because Banshee is still the only CD player that works.
    I think that because I use a Gnome desktop Amorok will not even open up.
    Soundjuicer opens but says the format is wrong.
    I need to learn more about Suse 10 and how I can get it to function.
    Thank you all for your input!

Xmms

I use Xmms. It has ability to play CD's. Since you're on Suse 10, you'll have to add audio codecs. As I remember KsCD is also on Suse. The only thing you'll have to do is to tell him in Preferences to play CD digitally (if your CD-drive isn't directly wired to the motherboard, like mine isn't)
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky
    I think that because I use a Gnome desktop Amorok will not even open up.
    Amarok runs quite happily on my GNOME and Xfce desktops. Well, I can't exactly say happily, since every once in a while it tends to fail to open mysteriously. You do need to have a lot of KDE stuff in order for it to run, though. QT, etc, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by minthaka
    I use Xmms. It has ability to play CD's. Since you're on Suse 10, you'll have to add audio codecs. As I remember KsCD is also on Suse. The only thing you'll have to do is to tell him in Preferences to play CD digitally (if your CD-drive isn't directly wired to the motherboard, like mine isn't)
    There's a couple ideas. I'm not sure about Suse, but I'm sure it has something similar to what I'm used to on Ubuntu: I can go to 'system/preferences/removable drives and media' and choose which software runs when a CD is inserted (also useful for iPods and flash drives). I'm not sure if this is a GNOME feature or an Ubuntu feature since this is the first distribution where I've used GNOME.

GNOME comes with a cd player. Try using that.

BTW, you're not trying to mount the cd are you? Music CD's don't need to be mounted.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

My gnome cd player does not work either.

Do you receive any error messages? Is there anything else that signifies any problems?
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast