Find the answer to your Linux question:
So here's my problem: I am running a powerpoint presentation at a large convention. Every 30 minutes, names are drawn for prizes, and I am supposed to type the names ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

powerpoint-like program

So here's my problem: I am running a powerpoint presentation at a large convention. Every 30 minutes, names are drawn for prizes, and I am supposed to type the names into the presentation. The trouble is, you can't add to a powerpoint presentation while it is running.

Does anyone know of any presentation program that allows you to edit it while it is running? I don't mind if it's text-based editing. (actually, that would be preferred, because it means I could use a text editor with emacs keybindings)

I don't know whether that can be done with presentation-type software, but another approach would be to use HTML. You can have the source open in another window, to which you can add names as needed, save the changes, and refresh the browser window.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

I know it's possible to have an html slide show that changes slides by pressing a key on the keyboard, but could I make one that changes slides on a timer?

If you have PHP on your Web server (or can get it), you can use PHP's sleep() function to wait a specified number of seconds, and then use header() to load the next page.

But my computer would have to have a web server?

Well, whatever computer is running the slideshow would need a Web server. If you're running Linux, that's very easy to do. Just install Apache2 and libapache2-mod-php5 from your package manager. You can also set a timer using some creative Javascript, so you don't even need to install PHP, as long as you're comfortable with Javascript code.

Well, i'm not comfortable with either javascript or php, but i'm willing to learn. It can't be that hard.

Linux Newbie
    There is a simple solution to this. Configure your system to use the projector as as an extended part of your desktop and set PowerPoint to display the presentation on the second screen. While the projector displays the presentation you can flip through the rest of it and even edit it in real-time on your laptop screen. You can also switch to other programs for capturing notes.

Wow. That's a good idea, Marsolin. I feel dumb for not thinking of that.