Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had so many issues with SuSe running properly, I decided to try getting up and running with Kubuntu. I chose Kubunto over Ubuntu just so that I could have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Firefox 2

I had so many issues with SuSe running properly, I decided to try getting up and running with Kubuntu. I chose Kubunto over Ubuntu just so that I could have the KDE Environemtn as I enjoy KDE more. In any case, I had the same issue in SuSe. I downloaded the tar ball from Firefox website. Now I extract all the files to a directory. I found that if I just run the script called firefox, it launches firefox. How do I install the actual files to the system? So they get registered on the K Menu, and so that the files get put where they need to be? I just don't understand how every program is different and I can't figure out how to install anything. The make, make install, etc route never seems to work for me. Help?!

Since you're using Kubuntu there's a much easier way to do this. Open a terminal and type,
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install firefox
    You may need to enter your password. This will download and install firefox for you, and put an entry into the K menu for you.

Nice'n'easy
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Check out this link for more info.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Thank you so much. That makes life so much easier. So far Kubuntu seems to be working out better overall for me than SuSE which is kidn of disappointing. Oh well. Thanks very much! That other link was also very helpful.