Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, so on my new laptop, playing mp3s in Kaffeine and Totem (or any player that uses xine) USED to work fine. But, a few days ago, they just stopped ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Ah, more mp3 problems

Okay, so on my new laptop, playing mp3s in Kaffeine and Totem (or any player that uses xine) USED to work fine. But, a few days ago, they just stopped working. I didn't do anything to the computer, just mid-way through my playlist Kaffeine suddenly said there's no plugin to handle the song that was next in the playlist, and after that I just couldn't get anything to play them any more. I went hunting around for alternative players, and found something called mpg123 which worked on the command line and was alright, but for some reason that sometimes says it can't open the default sound device (which is also what StepMania does)...

Any help with this?

use synaptec to reinstall the plug-ins. that might work

Just Joined!
    MPlayer (with KPlayer frontend) is what works best for me for playing MP3 and everything else.

try VLC player. It plays video and music
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

Just Joined!

Mp3 issues

Hi.
    check with www.rpm.livna.org it has most drivers and players(VLC) with codecs.go through the site for details.

goood luck ...