Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all I installed openquicktime in my fedora core 5 machine...but am not able to play quicktime files from the internet..the official apple page says no plugin is available for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question openquicktime help

hi all
    I installed openquicktime in my fedora core 5 machine...but am not able to play quicktime files from the internet..the official apple page says no plugin is available for quicktime as yet in linux...i am assuming openquicktime is the answer...have set the appropriate links to from /usr/local/lib/libopenquicktime.so.1.0.0 to root/.mozilla/plugins/libopenquicktime.so.1.0.0...dosent work even then...even tried quicktime4linux am getting the following errors when i run make install

expr: syntax error
    cp i686/qtdump i686/make_streamable i686/qtinfo i686/dechunk i686/yuv2mov i686/y uv4toyuv i686/recover i686/rechunk /usr/bin
    cp: cannot stat `i686/qtdump': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `i686/make_streamable': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `i686/qtinfo': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `i686/dechunk': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `i686/yuv2mov': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `i686/yuv4toyuv': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `i686/recover': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `i686/rechunk': No such file or directory
    make: *** [install] Error 1

have triend find on these files they dont exist alright..any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks

I haven't encountered openquicktime before, but it doesn't look like it has a browser plugin. I use the MPlayer-Plugin for when sites require one. It's a bit buggy in my experience but fairly usable. For playing video files on your computer you should just use one of the popular video players like Totem, VLC, or MPlayer. You may need to install a separate package with the various codecs, though I don't know what this would be called on fedora.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up to truthseeker

man ! thanks a lot ! mplayer worked like a charm...installed mplayer plugin and copied the .so and .xpt files to the appropriate folders just like it said in the INSTALL file and it worked...cant believe its working...have been stuck with this for 2 days...i dont want to crib but theres just a small hitch at the end of the all the files in one of the sites...anyways thanks a lot again....