Find the answer to your Linux question:
This may have been answered before, but I do not really have the time to look through all the old posts on the forum to maybe find one that addresses ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Help with X

This may have been answered before, but I do not really have the time to look through all the old posts on the forum to maybe find one that addresses my problem.

I am using SuSE Linux 9.0 Professional. I am having a big problem with X. When it loads up init 5 and it brings me to my graphical login screen, then once I input my password for my selected identity, it acts like it will let me login, but then it flashes a black screen and takes me back the the graphical login screen. Can someone please help me?! I am in dire need of it, and if you can I will regard you as a god. Please help!

Linux Newbie
    Why don't you try:
    going to runlevel 3 at bootime (type linux 3 or init 3 at the boot prompt; i am not sure about SuSe) and running X by yourself. If you get the same result check your /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow file (if you are using shadow passwords). Compare them to a previous security backup of those file (if you made one). Have you accessed the internet ? Sounds to me someone has been playing with those files. There is also a possibility that someone chmod-ed the bin folder so you can't log-in !
    I hope this helps, or someone who knows more helps you soon.

Also, do you have write access to your home directory? Does it exist at all?

Good luck

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well, I really couldn't figure out what was actually wrong with it. I tried so many things an I just gave up and reinstalled it. Though I have been careful not to go into root since it seems like it always happens for some reason when I go in there like maybe loging in and loging out without doing anything. My friend uses the same distribution as me and has never had a problem like this. Its probably an error by me somewhere, but I don't know what it could possibly be.