Find the answer to your Linux question:
Totem could not startup. The video output is in use by another application. Please close other video applications, or select another video output in the Multimedia Systems Selector. that is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Totem movie player....not working

Totem could not startup.
    The video output is in use by another application. Please close other video applications, or select another video output in the Multimedia Systems Selector.

that is what it says when i load it up when i have no other programs running what does this mean(im kinda a noon fyi)
    anyhelp would be very apreciated

Hi there!
    Why don't you try using another media player? Totem is just one of many. Try VLC (very popular, in my opinion a must have) or MPlayer. Both are very good. If the problem still there, try googling the error.
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

Just Joined!
    Some other program may be using the video output Totem is trying to use. Or it could be that Totem cannot correctly detect the kind of video output you have on your system.

MPlayer is a command line video player that usually gets everything right. If you want a nice interface, KPlayer is the best for KDE, although there is KMPlayer as well. On Gnome/GTK there is not much choice from what I know, you are basically limited to the gmplayer thing that comes with mplayer.