Find the answer to your Linux question:
Amarok is amazing. I must say it at least equates to being as good as iTunes if not better. The functionality is amazing. Now the issue has been my iPod. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Amarok issues with iPod

Amarok is amazing. I must say it at least equates to being as good as iTunes if not better. The functionality is amazing. Now the issue has been my iPod. Since I canned my Windows box and went cold into Linux, I lost all my playlists and ratings etc for my iPod. The iPod still had all these however. Well I tried using Amarok to get my iPod updated with some new stuff. Bad idea. Amarok deleted a bunch of my playlists and also does not recognize them. The other issue, is I was successfully able to transfer my new songs onto the iPod, but the playlists don't work that I added. I setup a simple playlist with just the new songs that I have and copied it over to the iPod. No luck when checking through playlists. Any ideas? Or does it look like I'm going to have to try and just completely reformat the iPod (on another windows machine i guess) and then try copying what I want back on, or is there something I'm missing? Thanks!!

Oh and PS --> I am running Kubuntu Edgy (6.10) with a KDE interface

Just Joined!
    So a little update, I am still having the issue with the playlist. I found out all was not lost, as I plugged my iPod into my laptop (still running windows), I found that the playlists were still intact. I also found that after ejecting it from the machine, the new playlist from Amarok showed up. Now what I am wondering is if anyone else is having the same issues, and if so how to fix it? I thought the LibGPod libraries or whatever they were, were supposed to be able to read and write the iPod format so at least it would still work as normal and allow us Linux users the power to use our iPods though not connected to a Win/Mac machine. Any ideas here?

Just Joined!
    Ok so I finally added the source to my sources list for getting the new Amarok 1.4.5 to see if maybe this helped. To no avail it didn't. There is a new library for gpod thought that it added and in Amarok there is an option to choose what generation of iPod you have. The issue is that I still am not able to see the playlists that I have added. It also still has the same issue with not having anything under some of the old playlists as well. I am able to see these playlists fine under Amarok though. Any ideas?

Also another small issue I am finding. I can transfer the songs from the iPod playlists to the computer (into my collection), but I can not copy the playlist with it. The only way I saw possible was to load the playlist into the current Amarok playlist. When I tried to save it though, it doesn't help as it is loading that actual playlist with files from the iPod, not my collection. Please help!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMix
    Ok so I finally added the source to my sources list for getting the new Amarok 1.4.5 to see if maybe this helped. To no avail it didn't. There is a new library for gpod thought that it added and in Amarok there is an option to choose what generation of iPod you have. The issue is that I still am not able to see the playlists that I have added. It also still has the same issue with not having anything under some of the old playlists as well. I am able to see these playlists fine under Amarok though. Any ideas?

Also another small issue I am finding. I can transfer the songs from the iPod playlists to the computer (into my collection), but I can not copy the playlist with it. The only way I saw possible was to load the playlist into the current Amarok playlist. When I tried to save it though, it doesn't help as it is loading that actual playlist with files from the iPod, not my collection. Please help!!
    Hey SMix, I use Amarok extensively at home and with my Ipod (30GB video). Love it. I've not even fooled with playlists though. I'll try that when I go home tonight and let you know what I find.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Zil. Yah so far I am loving Amarok. Being an avid fan of iTunes before the switch, this was quite an impressing program. It seems to match up to iTunes in almost every aspect. The only other issue that bugs me sometimes, is that if there is no album name, it won't simply add unknown to the id3 tag when making a folder for it. So basically the song gets stored as:

/home/name/directory/artist/title
    as opposed to
    /home/name/directory/artist/album/title

And every once in awhile when I modify id3 tags before copying them over, it will erase the information in them. Usually I will d/l a bunch of songs, modify the tags before I copy them over to my collection. The problem is that when I do them all at once some of them retain information I delete, some lose all their information, and some don't take the new information. It's really weird and happens randomly. But the playlist thing is essential to me. I use playlists all the time. I'm glad to find I didn't lose the old ones, but am disappointed I can't copy new ones on and that the old ones still don't play after hooking the iPod to Amarok.