Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am using Fedora Core 5 32+ bit as my OS. I want to have a good list of different types (image editing, security, text editors etc.) of free/open ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

A list of free & reliable applications for Linux

Hi,

I am using Fedora Core 5 32+ bit as my OS. I want to have a good list of different types (image editing, security, text editors etc.) of free/open source softwares for Linux OS, that I can just download, install and use without much fuss. I searched and came across these 2 sites, but are there any more standard ones that I can just visit and make sure that the applications listed there are stable releases and reliable in every sense. Here are the 2 sites in question:

1.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ftware_packages

2.http://www.linux.org/apps/

I am learning Linux as of now and want to try a few open source/free apps.

Thanks.

Linux Newbie
    I recently asked a guy on the forums via PM about where he learned his stuff from. Here is a copy of the message:

Hi, I have just one book about Linux, it's name is "The Linux Cookbook" http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/
    It was a bit expensive but my dad paid for it

The most useful thing I learn there was how to build a kernel and some package manager tips as well as some server stuff like Postfix.

I learned the most using Linux itself, following HOWTOs on the internet, installing Gentoo Linux www.gentoo.org and using their great wiki http://wiki.gentoo.org . But begin with an easy distro, I suggest Ubuntu, their community and documentation is very good. You can also try Fedora but in my experience Ubuntu is friendlier for a new user. Get everything working on the easy distro, then install a harder distro like Slackware and configure it in the same way as Ubuntu or Fedora, if you success you can move to Gentoo or Linux from Scratch. And after some months using them you will be a master

You learn a lot when you install multiple distros and try to understand how everything works, learning to compile from source and handling all the dependencies yourself is great for learning.

The most useful thing I have learned is related to the kernel: modules, sources, compiling, configuring etc.

Some knowledge on computer science can help too, you don't need to go the university, browse Wikipedia

One of my best experience with Linux has been installing Gentoo with a simple window manager like Fluxbox, Firefox, and a terminal. Nothing else (no file managers, no configuration GUIs, etc) trust me, you will learn a lot this way

And ask any question in the forum without fear

Hope this helps

I've left his name out deliberately but if you want to know just PM me.

Tim
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

Linux Newbie
    I run a site called Linux App Finder that has the same goal. Both Free and non-Free apps are included, although you can set Filter Options on the site to only show one or the other.

Linux Newbie
    Nice site man. I'll be making good use of that!

Tim

check out this site - http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html . It lists almost all apps that you use in windows with Linux equvalents.
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

Linux Newbie
    Cool site but a bit out of date. Lasp update was in 2006 sometime.

Tim

Hey Tim_Wright,
    New applications for linux don't pop up too often, and it was updated only at the beginning of December 2006, not that long ago. It has the top alternatives for Windows apps (ie Blender3D, Gimp etc etc), but of course not all Linux apps!
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

Linux Newbie
    Sorry, I didn't read the date carefully enough

Thanks,

Tim