Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Fedora Core 6 and I tried to update a few packages (atk, glib, gtk+,...) that were required for one i was going to install (anjuta). The thing is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question How are precompiled packages configured?

I have Fedora Core 6 and I tried to update a few packages (atk, glib, gtk+,...) that were required for one i was going to install (anjuta). The thing is that I could't find the latest version in the reporitories, nor any precompiled package on the net. So I downloaded the sources and compiled and installed them myself (without removing the old precompiled packages that were already on my system). What I want to know is if the new files overwrote the old ones or just installed in a different place(I wouldn't want 2 vesions of the same program). Do the guys who make these packages use the default configuration or not? Also, how can i remove a program that I compiled myself? Thaks.

Anybody ?

It all depends on how the package is built. Some distros use different directories for certain things and this is why you should stick with packages that are built for your distro.

For programs you compile yourself, sometimes you can issue a 'make uninstall' in a directory and it will uninstall your program.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you install packages you compile from source into the same prefix as the ones supplied by your distro, you will overwrite the files provided by the distros package which can cause probelms if you uninstall one of them.