Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Ive downloaded a package manager (APT) apt4rpm-0.69.3-0.src.rpm, however everytime I tried to install it it says an error that /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES does not exist thus I created this directory manually. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing apt

Hi,

Ive downloaded a package manager (APT) apt4rpm-0.69.3-0.src.rpm, however everytime I tried to install it it says an error that /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES does not exist thus I created this directory manually. I ran again the rpm and this time I get a warning that a user richard does not exist. I dont have a richard user and I run the package as root what could be causing the error?

Im using RHEL3, uname -a to my machines gives Linux an-rhel3.cabronication.com 2.4.21-4.EL #1 Fri Oct 3 18:13:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

If you're using RHEL, you should use yum to install your packages. Try 'man yum' from the CLI to read the man page to get you started.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Quote Originally Posted by cabronication
    Ive downloaded a package manager (APT) apt4rpm-0.69.3-0.src.rpm, however everytime I tried to install it it says an error that /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES does not exist thus I created this directory manually. I ran again the rpm and this time I get a warning that a user richard does not exist. I dont have a richard user and I run the package as root what could be causing the error?
    you have downloaded source rpm created by 'richard'. either use yum as suggested by bryansmith or download rpm package that hasn't .src.rpm extension.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

installing apt

Hi,

I typed man yum, it shows no manual entry.

I also tried searching for an rpm package for apt but cant find one. Can you recommend me a website where I can download it.

Many thanks to your help.