Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, First, apologies if this is the wrong forum. If it it, please feel free to let me know/move the thread. If not, great! Disclaimer: I'm a relatively new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fetchmail+Gmail

Hi all,

First, apologies if this is the wrong forum. If it it, please feel free to let me know/move the thread. If not, great!

Disclaimer: I'm a relatively new Linux user (about 1 year, switched from Windows), running Ubuntu Edgy. So I'm still learning, and it's quite possible my problem here is something really basic.

So, my end goal is to back up my Gmail using fetchmail. I was backing it up with Thunderbird, but then I saw this guide at Lifehacker.com (which is for Windows+Cygwin) and decided to give the CLI+cronjob method a try, adapting the instructions for Linux. Sounds great, except I'm unable to get it to work. Specifically, I can't get fetchmail to connect correctly to Gmail and download my email.

Here are the contents of my .fetchmailrc file (username and password removed):
    Code:
    poll pop.gmail.com with proto POP3 and options no dns
    user 'me@gmail.com' there with password 'password' is 'mch' here options ssl
    And then here's what fetchmail says when I run 'fetchmail -vk >> fetch.txt':
    Code:
    fetchmail: Not supported
    fetchmail: SMTP error: 550 relay not permitted
    fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address `mch@localhost'
    fetchmail: can't even send to mch!
    fetchmail: SMTP error: 550 relay not permitted
    fetchmail: SMTP listener doesn't like recipient address `mch@localhost'
    fetchmail: can't even send to mch!
    And before anyone says anything, yes POP is enabled for my Gmail account. Any tips/help much appreciated. Thanks!

Just Joined!
    ***bump***