Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't really use svn really ... at all. I'm a developer, but I'm okay with using a network share, as I don't really develop huge projects, its more of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation SVN Basics - Not a Server

I don't really use svn really ... at all. I'm a developer, but I'm okay with using a network share, as I don't really develop huge projects, its more of an "on the side" type of thing for me.

With that being said, I really don't know much about SVN. I will tell you though, I have search online for information on svn and all I have found is how to setup an SVN server.

This is NOT what I want. I want to connect to a SVN server and download all the files so that I can use the files. Therefore, I do not want to install a SVN server, I want to know how I can connect to an SVN server and download the files needed.

Thanks in advanced.

PS - My linux knowledge and understanding is very good .. just not familiar with svn - so if you wanna throw some linux commands and such out there .. please do I understand them ..

Obtaining files from a repository is known as 'checking out'. I found a cheat sheet at:
    http://www.abbeyworkshop.com/howto/misc/svn01/

You essentially create a directory to store the files in, then use the checkout command (you can abbreviate 'checkout' to 'co'). It will download the files in the project.

Now let's say that the files in the repo have been updated. Use the update command to only update the files that have been updated.

If you're going to later submit back to the repo, you can use the add command to add new files to your local copy, then use Subversion's diff command to generate a patch to submit to the maintainer, or if you have the privileges, you can use the commit command.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you need more.