Find the answer to your Linux question:
So say I am in a country where it is not illegal to decode DVD's, and I am looking for a software that will allow me to decode a DVD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DVD Backup Software

So say I am in a country where it is not illegal to decode DVD's, and I am looking for a software that will allow me to decode a DVD and make a backup ISO file that would be able to be either saved and mounted to watch, or burned to a DVD +R/-R. Any programs of the like?

dvdshrink (a windows program) works very well in wine :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/man...rink-wine.html

Or else there are a few Linux native applications that do the same : k9copy, xdvdshrink, etc.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

I've tried a few. The one that worked best for me was k9copy. It will automatically make an ISO image suitable for a 4.7 GB DVD that you can then burn using k3b or whichever application you're most comfortable with. Take a look at this thread.

Just Joined!
    Now this will copy DVD's that are protected as well? Because I attempted using some utility that was already on here dvd::rip and it kept having an error that the video was protected or encoded. These will get around this?

You will need to have installed libdvdcss to be able to decrypt CSS protection with dvd::rip or any other program
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    I think aptitude installed that lib when I installed k9copy. k9copy looks to have worked. Now my issue is playing the iso file as a DVD. I tried just simply mounting the file as a /media/dvd and did me no good. Kaffeine and everything else only recognize it as a directory. Is there a way to make the system view these files as a DVD in the DVD-ROM or do I just have to actually burn them to DVD first.

And on a side note. What is with the different settings in k9copy. Am I to assume that unless I want it to make them into MPEG4 I don't need to worry about those settings? I should pay attention to the file size max and what not under backup only? Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Ok not sure if this is the answer to my solution, but is it possible to instead mount via:

Code:
    sudo mount -t udf -o loop starwars.iso /home/user/StarWars
    Instead of using:

Code:
    sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop starwars.iso /home/user/StarWars
    Would this even work? And if so should it make that a DVD device? Or should that be something mounted under /media ?