Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I recently downloaded a DVD .img file via a BT tracker site. Does anyone know how to burn this correctly to disk? In my first attempt, executing this: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to burn a DVD .img file?

Hi all,

I recently downloaded a DVD .img file via a BT tracker site. Does anyone know how to burn this correctly to disk? In my first attempt, executing this:

Code:
    $ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cdrom-hdb myfile.img
    I ended up with a DVD disk containing just the .img file, not the actual directories etc.

I was wondering whether these are simply .iso files and can be renamed as such, in which case K3b should also be able to handle them.

I am using FC6.

TIA

Linux Newbie
    It's not the most elegant solution, but you could try mounting the file using MountISO and have K3b get the files that way.

Just Joined!

Solved

It turns out that the .IMG file was in so-called UDF format (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format) which seems to be a kind of superset/successor to ISO format. I installed a package called udftools with yum which is supposed to make it easier to deal with these files.

K3b will (then? Not sure now if it requires udftools) load the UDF file like as an ISO file and you can then burn it to DVD. The only catch is the open file dialog presented by the Burn DVD ISO FIile command only sees *.ISO files by default, so you first have to select All Files in the file filter option to be able to select the *.img file (or whatever extension the UDF file has).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

DVD burning on Linux

Hi,

I had also tried and it works very well. Please refer to http://linuxera.com/content/view/65/2/ for the resolution.

Best Wishes!