Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI: I have been recently trying out some games on my RedHat distribution, but find them to be unacceptably slow, seriously lagging my computer. The two main culprits are tuxracer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with games

HI:

I have been recently trying out some games on my RedHat distribution, but find them to be unacceptably slow, seriously lagging my computer. The two main culprits are tuxracer and chromium. Do I have to set up my video card or something to have them work properly?

Thanks,

ahaldar

Linux Guru
    Do you have an nVidia card?

Just Joined!

Re: Video Card

Hi:

The card is an nVidia GeForce II.

ahaldar

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    In that case you'll need to install nVidia's Linux drivers, since the drivers that come with Linux distributions for nVidia cards doesn't use the accelleration functions (due to legal issues). They have a very good readme along with the drivers, so installation should go easy.

Just Joined!

Re: NVidia

Hi:

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I believe I screwed up somewhere along the insallation process . The Nvidia guide directed that I restart the X Window system, which I tried to do with a ctrl-alt-backspace. Now, I keep on getting a weird error: Id "x" respawning too fast....Wait 5 minutes. Every five minutes, it shows this same message. Do you know what happened and how I can fix it? Thanks

Linux Guru
    You probably screwed up your XF86Config. Log in as root at a text terminal, run "less -S /var/log/XFree86.0.log" and check there for errors.