Goodmorning . i got a serious and comlpicated problem with my tv tuner. its a leadtek winfast xp 2000 expert (uses a cx chipset). The problem doesnt seem to be on kubuntu (as i had the same problem on kubuntu 6.10 , 7.04, and as also on last reelase of debian.) .
When opening an application for the tv tuner, no matter if this is kdetv, tvtime , mythtv, and close the application, the application closes but then the sound still continues to play. But thats not the main problem as i could simply turn down the volume. the problem is that after this happens, some of the commands dont work (like ps for example), neither does my system shut down anymore. it just hangs and never turns off.The only thing i can do is to reset. I can't close the application on console with ctrl+c neither
allows me the system (even with root) to kill the proccess.
While the application runs , everything works also pretty well. The point is that this happens the 80% of the times i turn off the tv application, the other 20% when i close the app the sound also closes.
In the kdetv application i tried also to use OSS and Alsa , but in both cases the result was the same.
Any suggestions what could i check ?

Here is a small is what i get when i start kdetv from console :


Creating vbi proxy client, rev.
$Id: proxy-client.c,v 1.12 2006/05/31 03:54:28 mschimek Exp $
proxy_msg: connect: error 2, No such file or directory
kdetv: WARNING: VBIDecoder: vbi_capture_proxy_new error: Connection via socket failed, server not running.
Try to open V4L2 0.20 VBI device, libzvbi interface rev.
$Id: io-v4l2.c,v 1.33 2006/05/22 09:00:47 mschimek Exp $
Opened /dev/vbi0
libzvbi:capture_v4l2k_new: Try to open V4L2 2.6 VBI device, libzvbi interface rev.
$Id: io-v4l2k.c,v 1.41 2006/05/31 03:54:00 mschimek Exp $.
libzvbi:capture_v4l2k_new: Opened /dev/vbi0.
libzvbi:capture_v4l2k_new: /dev/vbi0 (Leadtek Winfast 2000XP Expert) is a v4l2 vbi device,
driver cx8800, version 0x00000006.
libzvbi:capture_v4l2k_new: Using streaming interface.
libzvbi:v4l2_get_videostd: Current scanning system is 525.
libzvbi:v4l2_update_services: Querying current vbi parameters...
libzvbi:v4l2_update_services: ...success.
libzvbirint_vfmt: VBI capture parameters supported: format 59455247 [GREY], 28636363 Hz, 2048 bpl, offs 244, F1 10...26, F2 273...289, flags 00000000.
libzvbirint_vfmt: VBI capture parameters granted: format 59455247 [GREY], 28636363 Hz, 2048 bpl, offs 244, F1 10...26, F2 273...289, flags 00000000.
libzvbi:vbi3_raw_decoder_add_services: No services to add.
libzvbi:v4l2_update_services: Nyquist check passed.
libzvbi:v4l2_update_services: Request decoding of services 0x60000c7f, strict level -1.
libzvbi:_vbi_sampling_par_permit_service: Service 0x00000001 (Teletext System B 625 Level 1.5) requires videostd_set 0x1, have 0x0.
libzvbi:_vbi_sampling_par_permit_service: Service 0x00000003 (Teletext System B, 625) requires videostd_set 0x1, have 0x0.
libzvbi:_vbi_sampling_par_permit_service: Service 0x00000001 (Teletext System B 625 Level 1.5) requires videostd_set 0x1, have 0x0.
libzvbi:_vbi_sampling_par_permit_service: Service 0x00000003 (Teletext System B, 625) requires videostd_set 0x1, have 0x0.
libzvbi:_vbi_sampling_par_permit_service: Service 0x00000004 (Video Program System) requires videostd_set 0x1, have 0x0.
libzvbi:_vbi_sampling_par_permit_service: Service 0x00000400 (Wide Screen Signalling 625) requires videostd_set 0x1, have 0x0.
libzvbi:_vbi_sampling_par_permit_service: Service 0x00000008 (Closed Caption 625, field 1) requires videostd_set 0x1, have 0x0.
libzvbi:_vbi_sampling_par_permit_service: Service 0x00000010 (Closed Caption 625, field 2) requires videostd_set 0x1, have 0x0.
libzvbi:v4l2_update_services: Will capture services 0x00000060, added 0x60 commit=1.
libzvbi:v4l2_stream_alloc: Requesting 16 streaming i/o buffers.
libzvbi:v4l2_stream_alloc: Mapping 16 streaming i/o buffers.
libzvbi:capture_v4l2k_new: Successfully opened /dev/vbi0 (Leadtek Winfast 2000XP Expert).
kdetv: WARNING: MainWindow::setupInfraRed(): Lirc not available
kdetv: WARNING: V4L2Dev::enqueueBuffer(): buffer already queued: 2
V4L2Grabber::~V4L2Grabber(): wait().
V4L2Grabber::~V4L2Grabber(): deleted.
V4L2Grabber::~V4L2Grabber(): wait().
V4L2Grabber::~V4L2Grabber(): deleted.


When the applications closes succesfuly i get this:

kdetv: WARNING: V4L2Dev: VIDIOC_QBUF failed: Invalid argument
libzvbi:v4l2_stream_stop: Suspending stream.



Thank you in advance