Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Using Gentoo. I have accidentally deleted /tmp/sandboxpids.tmp and now I can't emerge packages. The error message is /tmp/sandbox.tmp file mode: r+ No such file Now obviously it can't find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo Sandbox

Hi,

Using Gentoo.
    I have accidentally deleted /tmp/sandboxpids.tmp and now I can't emerge packages.

The error message is /tmp/sandbox.tmp file mode: r+ No such file

Now obviously it can't find the file, is there anything I can do - like maybe paste in a copy of someone elses? or do I need to go back and reinstall something?

Thanks

Chris

Try touching the file and see if it will work with a blank file.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thank you Sarumont,

I tried that, but to no avail. I had an interesting discussion in #linuxforums. Other folk had no /tmp/sandboxpids.tmp file at all.

I have FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox strict sfperms" in make.conf, others there didn't have userpriv or usersandbox.

Interesting because according to Gentoo Handbook; the recommendation is to use them:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=2&chap=3

Any thoughts?

What would be helpful would be if someone could post their /tmp/sandboxpids.tmp so I could look at it and try it out?

Cheers,
    Chris

Linux Engineer
    hmm.. that must be a fairly new recommendation... because it wasn't in the 1.4 install docs... and when i used the handbook, it wasn't there either, for 2004.0....
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

I have those options on and don't have the .pid file, either. Have you checked #gentoo?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    In playing with various suggestions from IRC (most of them polite) I have the following thought:

sandboxpids.tmp is a temporary file (duh!) and doesn't ly around on the HD. The emerge error

" /tmp/sandbox.tmp file mode: r+ No such file "

is more likely to be due to incorrect permissions on /tmp probably introduced by me trying to remount /tmp to a different partition.

Mounting /tmp where it used to be removed the issue. I'll still have to figure out what I did wrong with remounting /tmp, but:

*Thanks for your input* hope I can return the favour.

See you on IRC

Chris