Find the answer to your Linux question:
(running FC2, using DVD::RIP newest .50.18 or sothing like that). Hi, I was trying the other day to rip a dvd in my laptop, I only have 5 gigs total, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to rip a dvd with DVD::RIP it uses all the free space

(running FC2, using DVD::RIP newest .50.18 or sothing like that).

Hi, I was trying the other day to rip a dvd in my laptop, I only have 5 gigs total, and most of the times just around 1.7 gigs free.
    I used some options, one is to encode on the fly, cause I thought it would prevent from having multiple files thus using more space.
    Also in the Transcode tab, I chose: Target media 1 x 700 MB, and Target size 700 MB, for video codec I chose xvid.
    In the Calculated Storage section of Transcode, I checked that Audio + Video added up to 700.
    I thought this would keep me out of trouble, so I ran this and it easily used up all my free space, about 1.8 gigs at that time.

Do you know of something I can do?, I thought I could start messing with the size and width or perhaps video frame rate, perhaps the de-interlace mode?

*Also, notice that encoding on the fly disables AC3, subtitles and some other things that I do not understand, so that isnt taking more space.

(Now, I believe the program has the option of burning a cd, probably as it encodes, however my laptop cannot burn dvds. )

Finally, you might be thinking that I should use a differentr computer to do this, one with enough free space to do this painlessly, however that is also not an option.

All answers will be appreciated.

Is it running out of space while you are ripping or just using up all that space? Check the dvdrip directory to find the big file(s) and post where they are.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Im sorry, yes, it uses all the space while ripping. It opens up a box asking me if I want to continue, even if I have 0 MB left... I wonder how it could go on if no space is left, but anyhow...

It creates 3 directories: VOB, TMP and AVI, the path is user defined so no use in posting the whole thing.
    The AVI dir is empty.

TMP has:
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 968022 Jun 3 09:25 -001-nav.log
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 26101 Jun 3 09:14 backup.rip
    drwxr-xr-x 2 myuser myuser 4096 Jun 3 09:14 ifo
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 3572 Jun 3 09:25 logfile.txt

the ifo folder contains:
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 18432 Jun 3 09:14 vts_01_0.ifo
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 16384 Jun 3 09:14 vts_02_0.ifo
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 96256 Jun 3 09:14 vts_03_0.ifo
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 myuser myuser 18432 Jun 3 09:14 vts_04_0.ifo

I aborted this last attempt before my disk ran out of space and the folder VOB only contained another folder, which was empty. However, as I said before, last time it kept going until it was done to 90% and then it told me it had ran out of space, and when I checked the folders there were some large files, one VOB file was over 1Gb length last time.

The VOB folder is where it usually stores the DVD images...if you're using encode on the fly, however, that shouldn't happen. But those images are usually ~4G total, so that doesn't match anyways. The only thing I can tell you is to maybe check the logs and see if anything can be garnered from that. Also check your settings again just for the sake of checking them. Sorry I can't be much more help.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Yeah, it shouldnt be storing the dvd images (VOBs) but only give me the resulting avi, right?

But I ll keep trying, thanks anyway sarumont

Linux Engineer
    Try useing mencoder its part of the mplayer aplication. it can do an amazing job of ripping your dvd's

Just Joined!
    I tried DVD::RIP because it was recommended by someone.

When trying to RIP it told me it needed about 90 GB of free space!

So maybe that's you ran out of disk space.

I tried Acid, and I had no problems.

Not sure why DVD::RIP needs SOOOO much space!