Find the answer to your Linux question:
Guys and Gals, I would like not to see the messages (checking and confirmation) during bootup and shutdown. How will I do it? I am using Red Hat 9. Thank ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to disable the messages during bootup and shutdown?

Guys and Gals,

I would like not to see the messages (checking and confirmation) during bootup and shutdown. How will I do it? I am using Red Hat 9.

Thank you for your great help.

Just Joined!
    What you are speaking of is called a bootsplash and you would have to patch the kernel to get that to work. You should google for it i don't know if any has doesn it with redhat but i am sure they have so you should be able to find a tutorial. Fedora uses this type of system when it boots up personally its best to have the text mode instead of graphical boot up but to each his own.

Just Joined!
    i dont think you have to go as far as modding your kernal.
    I know in mdk9.2; all you have to do is

NOTE: FOLLOW THE OPPOSITE OF THESE DIRECTIONS [which are to change from graphical to verbose mode]

edit /etc/lilo.conf yourself, selecting install=menu or install=text instead of graphical.

Now change /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash and tell it to take the stupid graphics elsewhere by changing the lines to include

SPLASH=no
    LOGO_CONSOLE=no

Now make sure that you pass the splash=0 option to your bootloader (in LILO, this is the append option), reboot, and enjoy your glorious text. Don't forget to run LILO first.

[so, for you, put in splash=1 ]

[hope this works, good luck;
    keyshawn

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

wat if with grub.conf

wat i will do if i am using grub to do the same?

This thread is around 3 years old. Please start a new thread and explain your problem in detail. sorry for inconvenience.
    Locked.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First