Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I've been trying desperately for some time now to install Dev-C++. It's a great program and my development program of choice on windows. However, to install it in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Problems with QT install

Hey guys,
    I've been trying desperately for some time now to install Dev-C++. It's a great program and my development program of choice on windows. However, to install it in linux, you have to go through the installation of the QT library from source (unless there's a deb package somewhere that I have been completely oblivious to for the past year or so). I really want this to work out because it's what I've been learning C++ on. Anyways, during compilation, I hit a snag at running the make command. here's the command and the output from make.

Code:
    alaric@alaric:/usr/local/qt$ sudo make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/qt'
    cd src/moc; make
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/qt/src/moc'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt/src/moc'
    rm -f bin/moc
    cp src/moc/moc bin/moc
    make -f src-mt.mk
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/qt'
    (not building threaded Qt)
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt'
    cd src; make
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/qt/src'
    g++  -c -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/qt/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -pipe -O2 -fPIC -DQT_BUILTIN_GIF_READER=0 -DQT_NO_IMAGEIO_JPEG -DQT_NO_IMAGEIO_MNG -DQT_NO_SM_SUPPORT  -I/usr/local/qt/src/3rdparty/zlib -I/usr/local/qt/src/3rdparty/libpng  -o xml/qxml.o xml/qxml.cpp
    /usr/local/qt/include/qvaluestack.h: In member function ‘T QValueStack<T>::pop() [with T = QMap<QString, QString>]’:
    xml/qxml.cpp:513:   instantiated from here
    /usr/local/qt/include/qvaluestack.h:57: error: cannot convert ‘QValueListIterator<QMap<QString, QString> >’ to ‘const char*’ for argument ‘1’ to ‘int remove(const char*)’
    /usr/local/qt/include/qvaluestack.h: In member function ‘T QValueStack<T>::pop() [with T = QString]’:
    xml/qxml.cpp:2500:   instantiated from here
    /usr/local/qt/include/qvaluestack.h:57: error: cannot convert ‘QValueListIterator<QString>’ to ‘const char*’ for argument ‘1’ to ‘int remove(const char*)’
    make[2]: *** [xml/qxml.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt/src'
    make[1]: *** [sub-src] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt'
    make: *** [init] Error 2
    I have no idea where to go from here. I've installed just about every package in apt with X11-dev zlib and libpng in their names, but nothing seems to be working. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Just Joined!
    I'm in the same situation --- got addicted to DevCpp on WinXP and trying to compile wtih GCC on Slackware but QT won't build...

If I were a better programmer I'd gladly patch and distribute it myself!

Please help!

-Dan