Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently trying to convert over to windows but have been using Quickbooks for my business for over 3 years now. I would love a program that will import ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quickbooks conversion

I am currently trying to convert over to windows but have been using Quickbooks for my business for over 3 years now. I would love a program that will import that data and have the same basic funcionality.

It is the last program that stops me from running Linux under Windows, and I don't want to run it under Wine.

Thanks for the anticipated support.

Keith

Just Joined!

In Windows I stay

Well, since I posted my query I've done a lot of searching and it appears as though this is the "hold back application".

I will stick with Windows for the time being I suppose.

Thanks anyways,

Regards and best wishes,

Keith

Linux Newbie
    Actually, there is an alternative called MyBooks Professional. You install a Windows version first, convert your QuickBooks files, and then transfer them to MyBooks on Linux.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsolin View Post
    Actually, there is an alternative called MyBooks Professional. You install a Windows version first, convert your QuickBooks files, and then transfer them to MyBooks on Linux.
    Terrific! I will try that out. It sounds just like what I need.

Thanks,

Keith

Just Joined!

Has anybody actually done this?

Quote Originally Posted by Marsolin View Post
    Please, folks, no more heresay comments - or even "it works for me" stuff.
    When I tried to do The Quickbooks->MyBooks Pro transfer, I failed terribly.
    With other Linux finance apps, what might satisfy an individual's budget will earn the contempt of their accountant- who really only wants some clean accounts and couldn't care less which software (or paper) produces them.

Thing is, accountancy apps are fairly straightforward databases! Yes, I'm saying that Quickbooks, MYOB and the like are standard databases that have been been basted in snake-oil. The nasty bit is, the data files they produce for your company are proprietary and binary: the software will lock you into a sticky relationship for years. You'll have to buy copies for your staff and bookkeepers. They can cease making or supporting their software.

MyBooks Pro is proprietary, poorly supported, has a difficult website. I've yet to see if you can *Export* from MyBooks to anything else (which is what most of the proprietary sellers don't do - so they lock you in). Your books are important. They can keep you sleeping well, or end you up in jail.
    Last edited by goanna300; 10-21-2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: grammar

I couldn't agree more.

We tried switching over to Mybooks from Quickbooks a few years back and it was a complete disaster. Their "support" is the worst I've ever experienced. They take the attitude that any requests for support is asking them to do you a special favor. What an utter waste of valuable time and money.

Now my book keeper won't work with anything other than Quickbooks so we have to have a Win 2000 machine for that purpose. Quickbooks for business is indeed a huge stumbling block for many small businesses that want to make a total switch over to Linux.

Kmymoney seems to be the nearest Linux equivalent to Quicken. I wish someone would make a mod for Kmymoney that would upgrade it from personal finance to small business accounting. If I only knew how, I would do it in a heartbeat and be completely Windows free in the business office.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here