Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need some help getting Realplayer to work 100% in Firefox on Linux Mint 3.0. I am convinced that the problem is not really distro-specific. (Although I realize there are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Realplayer Help Needed with Firefox

I need some help getting Realplayer to work 100% in Firefox on Linux Mint 3.0. I am convinced that the problem is not really distro-specific.

(Although I realize there are many who are fans of using other players to play realplayer videos in the browser,and I respect their options to do so, I would appreciate only Realplayer help, please. This is because in my experience on certain websites, these other players don't cooperate 100%.)

Here is what I have done thus far to achieve *partial* success:

I went to /usr/lib/firefox/plugins. I don't use cli much and am a nontechie, but this is what I did:

cd /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
    Then I did ls -l

I discovered that both the Firefox plugins folder and the Mozilla plugins folder already had Realplayer's nphelix.so and nphelix.xpt in it. (Great!)

I did a "sudo rm mplayerplug-in-rm.so mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt"(w/out the quotes) in both the Firefox plugins folder and the Mozilla plugins folder.

This now allows me in Firefox to go to websites and play *non-embedded* Realplayer videos, where the Realplayer application pops up and plays them beautifully!

However, when it is the choice of the website to use the Realplayer video *embedded* in the Firefox browser, I only get audio to work, and not the video.

*Any ideas on getting the video to work along with the audio?*

I greatly appreciate your help.

Many thanks,

Richard Lawson

Just Joined!

Solved!

After messing around for better part of a day, I finally got this problem solved.

For those of you still having problems getting either video or audio to work in Firefox with Realplayer, please follow this link:

Linux Mint Forums :: View topic - Configuring Realplayer in Firefox

I now have videos with the audios when embedded in the browser, and I now have audio working the play the Radio on BBC - homepage - Home of the BBC on the Internet.

Sincerely,

Richard L.