Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys I am using a program called Navicat , i am running my own private wow server, and using my Linux box as acting server for now. My problem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't Use an App in root?

Hi guys

I am using a program called Navicat, i am running my own private wow server, and using my Linux box as acting server for now.

My problem is this, the program Navicat is a trial version, now it runs fine when i am not logged into root,i run it in terminal and it appears lovely,do what i want with it, and hey presto it does it's job. Now when i am logged into root i can't use this program and i need to be logged into root when dealing with MySQL and stuff, why won't it let me open it? is it because it's a trail software and in root you may be able to knock of the trail period or something? just comes up no such command, even if i click on the icon, and its say run in terminal, but after that nothing, when i am not root the icon works fine.

i just can't understand it

do companies impose these restrictions on trial software? or am i just being paranoid/stupid newbie Linux user doing it wrong?

thanks in advance

HD

p.s i hope that all made sense, am very tired and not thinking straight :P

i never used any trial version in Linux but did you try to execute Navicat in Terminal? it will display relevant info/errors there only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

this is what happens when i execute in root,

root@Chopster:~# cd ./Desktop
    root@Chopster:~/Desktop# cd ./navicat
    root@Chopster:~/Desktop/navicat# ./start-navicat
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

navicat: cannot connect to X server :0.0
    root@Chopster:~/Desktop/navicat#
    the command works fine if i am not in root

which distro do you have? Ubuntu? root login is disabled in Ubuntu and root user doesn't have access to GUI/X server by default. did you enable root login in GUI?

yes Ubuntu 7.04 is Distro, and yes i enabled root login (just makes it easier for the moment, not because i don't know the sudo commands, just as i am playing with MySQL and stuff it's easier to be logged in as root)

are you logged in as root in GUI? are all other GUI packages working fine?

First off sorry for the late reply devil's casper, i have been away for a few days.

Basically to sum it up, i am playing around with MySQL and PHP, i am a student and we will be learning this when i enter my second year, i just wanted to get a head start, plus i am kinda interested in this stuff anyways.

I setup several database's using the Navicat program, and linked them to MySQL, i found they would only successfully connect to the database when i was logged into Root, so i started logging in as root when i wanted to play around with MySQL, but when i tried to run navicat in root it would njot open and gave me then error's

i thought it might have something to do with the program only being a trial, as you have to pay for the complete product.

Yes all my other programs are running smoothly.

one drawback, my hard-drive was failing i think, so i bought a new one today so now i have to install it over again, thanks for the reply's anyway you have been a great help to me ever since i started Linux, but i think i will try a free alternative, i heard easyphpadmin is pretty good.

thanks

HD

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDensity View Post
    this is what happens when i execute in root,

the command works fine if i am not in root
    Since you are using Ubuntu just put the word "sudo" in front of each command that you type in the terminal.

~Jordan