Find the answer to your Linux question:
Troubles. I'm using kernel 2.4.24-1-686. I installed libpng, gtk-devel, libglib1.2, and every other package necessary before finally getting ./configure --enable-gui --disable-tv --enable-svga to work. But now when I type make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

MPlayer compiling

Troubles.

I'm using kernel 2.4.24-1-686. I installed libpng, gtk-devel, libglib1.2, and every other package necessary before finally getting ./configure --enable-gui --disable-tv --enable-svga to work. But now when I type make, I get compiler errors to the limit. I've tried on both gcc-2.95 and gcc-3.3, but neither one works. In both cases the tail of my output looks like:

/opt/gnome/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtkruler.h:89: error: storage size of `subdivide' isn't known
    /opt/gnome/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtkrc.h:54: error: storage size of `fg' isn't known
    /opt/gnome/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtkrc.h:55: error: storage size of `bg' isn't known
    /opt/gnome/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtkrc.h:57: error: storage size of `base' isn't known
    /opt/gnome/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtktext.h:144: error: storage size of `cursor_mark' isn't known
    make: *** [mp_msg.o] Error 1

I can't get anything useful on that stuff from Google, so has anyone seen this kind of behavior before? I could use a tip or two to point me in the right direction.

Just Joined!
    You need to get a new version of gtk

Linux Engineer
    correct. thats what seems to be the problem. try compiling without --enable-gui (i dont like the mplayer gui much anyway;)) that will at least give you a working player while you update gtk or try to find the problem. alternativly - try xine its really cool at at least equal to mplayer - the gui to xine is better than the mplayer gui by far!