Find the answer to your Linux question:
when I boot up blender either in full screen or windowed, it will take a long time for the buttons and options on the bottom to load, I have to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Blender lags

when I boot up blender either in full screen or windowed, it will take a long time for the buttons and options on the bottom to load, I have to mouse over them so some will show up, and then finally they all do. However, when the bottom panel loads, part of the top portion of my window will gray out, and they just flip back and forth.

I am running Ubuntu feisty with and ATI card with 128 ram, 1 gig of ram in my computer, on a Dell Inspiron 5100.

Are you by any chance running Beryl/Compiz too? I've found that with some applications you get some bugs while running them with Beryl. I can't think that it can be a display driver issue, I mean it's just a couple of buttons so I can't think that installing the ATi drivers might resolve the problem, however they are in the Ubuntu repositories in case you don't have them, give it a shot!

Just Joined!
    I installed the ATI Radeon Mobility driver, and I made sure that I don't even have Beryl installed, and neither seems to help. I'll look to see if there is quality settings on blender i can change.

This confuses me because I have run blender on a system with worse specs than this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close