Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have XMMS 1.2.10 It seems like once XMMS loads the ID3 tag for a song, it will not update info in the playlist if I change it. I've tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XMMS and ID3 Tags

I have XMMS 1.2.10

It seems like once XMMS loads the ID3 tag for a song, it will not update info in the playlist if I change it. I've tried removing the song, restarting XMMS, and loading the song back into the playlist but even that does not work. The only way it shows new ID3 info is if I rename the song or change the file path of the file and load it back into XMMS.

Does XMMS save the song's ID3 tag to a file? If so, where is it? If not, what is wrong?

Linux Engineer
    i dont have access to my machine right now but i think that if you rightclick the xmms playlist you get a menu.. look for somthing like "read extended info" that should refresh it.. if not then look for othet options amoung that list. you should find what you are looking for!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    i dont have access to my machine right now but i think that if you rightclick the xmms playlist you get a menu.. look for somthing like "read extended info" that should refresh it.. if not then look for othet options amoung that list. you should find what you are looking for!
    View extended info does not work. Like I said, even when i remove all the songs, close XMMS, open XMMS and add the songs, they still keep show their old info in the playlist. If I right click and go to view file info, it shows the updated ID3. That is why I think there is a file that stores the id3 info after the first time it loads the song.

Just Joined!
    Last time i used xmms, it only supported writing id3v1 tags. Strange enough, if the mp3 file contains an id3v2 tag, xmms will display it in the playlist, instead of the id3v1 tag.

As you can't change this tag in xmms, it always shows the id3v2 tag instead of the tag you just edited.

I used a command line utility called id3v2 to remove all the id3v2 tags from my mp3 files.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hchasqueira
    Last time i used xmms, it only supported writing id3v1 tags. Strange enough, if the mp3 file contains an id3v2 tag, xmms will display it in the playlist, instead of the id3v1 tag.

As you can't change this tag in xmms, it always shows the id3v2 tag instead of the tag you just edited.

I used a command line utility called id3v2 to remove all the id3v2 tags from my mp3 files.
    thank you.

Linux Newbie

Re: XMMS and ID3 Tags

Quote Originally Posted by AlbedoPiazzolla
    I have XMMS 1.2.10

Does XMMS save the song's ID3 tag to a file? If so, where is it? If not, what is wrong?
    It do save the ID3 Tag to file. but for some weird reason(might be bug) it doesnt reflect in play list.

i've tested this by opening the same file in winamp and i could see the ID3 tag updated.
    NEVER stop/pause Journey of Learning -Travelling Soldier ( Me )