Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You don't need to be a jerk, I've compiled Kino a couple of times but I'm not willing to help somebody who just doesn't appreciate the free effort done by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You don't need to be a jerk, I've compiled Kino a couple of times but I'm not willing to help somebody who just doesn't appreciate the free effort done by people on this forum.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo View Post
    You don't need to be a jerk, I've compiled Kino a couple of times but I'm not willing to help somebody who just doesn't appreciate the free effort done by people on this forum.

Hey. I'm the victim here. Quit trying to turn it around on me. I think I was pretty clear in the description of my problem, and then you guys tell me to run ./configure --help? That's just condescending!

Quote Originally Posted by flavanoid View Post
    Hey. I'm the victim here. Quit trying to turn it around on me. I think I was pretty clear in the description of my problem, and then you guys tell me to run ./configure --help? That's just condescending!
    No one is trying to be condescending, is just a bit of a misunderstanding.
    It's been along time since I have used ./configure --help, but I was thinking when you do that, it will list the options that are available for the source you are trying to install. I could be wrong and I have been wrong before.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

But why?

I am the lead developer of Kino. Why do you want to add options? The local copy of ffmpeg is not intended to provide a shared ffmpeg installation. It serves 2 purposes:
    1) Kino statically links to it purely for the DV video codec. In this case any additional options are useless.
    2) It installs a statically linked copy of ffmpeg named ffmpeg-kino that is use only for importing non-DV into Kino. ffmpeg only uses external libs for additional encodings. During import, ffmpeg-kino is only used for encoding to DV and possibly decoding the foreign file. Therefore, again, it can not make use of any external library options. Kino installs this special version because it applies a small patch to make what I feel is a compatibility improvement to ffmpeg's DV encoder.

The only reason you might want to enable extra options is if you plan to use ffmpeg-kino manually at the command line.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddennedy View Post
    I am the lead developer of Kino. Why do you want to add options? The local copy of ffmpeg is not intended to provide a shared ffmpeg installation. It serves 2 purposes:
    1) Kino statically links to it purely for the DV video codec. In this case any additional options are useless.
    2) It installs a statically linked copy of ffmpeg named ffmpeg-kino that is use only for importing non-DV into Kino. ffmpeg only uses external libs for additional encodings. During import, ffmpeg-kino is only used for encoding to DV and possibly decoding the foreign file. Therefore, again, it can not make use of any external library options. Kino installs this special version because it applies a small patch to make what I feel is a compatibility improvement to ffmpeg's DV encoder.

The only reason you might want to enable extra options is if you plan to use ffmpeg-kino manually at the command line.
    The main reason I want to compile with external libs is for the xvid(and other other formats that I know less about but would like to experiment with) support.

Kino's interface has the options to export to these formats, but those options are rendered useless without explicitly enabling them during the ./configure phase.

Why would you include those options in the interface if you think enabling them during ./configure would be useless? Or are you saying that kino uses the local ffmpeg-kino ONLY for importing and uses the shared ffmpeg for exporting?

If it uses the local version for both import AND export, and since you're the lead developer could you please tell me the proper syntax for enabling such options during ./configure?

Thank you!

Just Joined!

export != import

Export is not import. I said ffmpeg-kino is only for import. Your normal ffmpeg utility, not supplied with Kino, built outside of Kino, is used for exporting.

This is by design. One of the goals of Kino's local ffmpeg is to simplify building Kino in the recommended configuration. Adding additional options and dependencies would defeat that purpose. Just accept it the way it is. I have already done the thinking for you. Forget about adding options to Kino's private, local copy of ffmpeg and take a look at your distro's ffmpeg package. Oh wait, you are probably using a distribution that has a sorry-ass build of ffmpeg. Well, sorry.

If you agree to not touch kino's ffmpeg and to build your own copy of standard ffmpeg, then I will show you my configure options.

Just Joined!
    Well see, I already have compiled the "non local" version of ffmpeg correctly with all the functionality that I'm looking for...

I just didn't know that kino used used it's local version ONLY for import.

So that being said...

When I try to export a video clip from kino encoded with xvid for example, it doesn't work. So I guess I have a new problem huh?

Got any suggestions?

my shared ffmpeg is at /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg

Is this where kino looks for it? maybe that's the problem...
    Last edited by devils casper; 07-26-2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Just Joined!

getting kino->ffmpeg-xvid to work

Kino export/other ffmpeg scripts use whatever "ffmpeg" occurs first in your PATH. More than likely that includes /usr/local/bin.

Sometimes ffmpeg's command line options change in a way that breaks the export scripts. It has been changing over the past year more than prior years making it unreliable to use in this fashion. Oh well, that's progress! This means I have to update the Kino export scripts.

A couple of days ago, I released v1.1.0 of Kino that includes updated export scripts for the changes in ffmpeg over the past several months. You can upgrade Kino or you can grab the updated scripts from cvsweb on SourceForge.net: Kino. If you grab them from cvsweb, do not forget ffmpeg_utils.sh! That is the one that handles the difference in command line options of the various ffmpeg versions.

To be specific, you are probably bitten by the fact that ffmpeg -vcodec changed from xvid to libxvid.

Just Joined!
    That sounds logical since my ffmpeg is pretty new and I'm building kino 1.0.0 i'll give 1.1.0 a try and let you know how that works out.

thanks!

Just Joined!
    Success! Those ffmpeg guys like to keep everybody on their toes huh?

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the great work you've done with kino!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2