Find the answer to your Linux question:
I downloaded the package to install the RH9 version of Wine on my operating system. When I installed it, it said it was complete, however I can't seem to find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Wine on RH9

I downloaded the package to install the RH9 version of Wine on my operating system. When I installed it, it said it was complete, however I can't seem to find the program in my menu. I'm fairly new to Linux, and was wondering if installed applications usually show up on the Start menu.

They shouldn't.

/me doesn't use KDE, so he wouldn't know.

When you use wine to install the program, however, I believe it creates both a menu item and desktop icon. Just open up a terminal and wine whatever.exe to install it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie

Re: Installing Wine on RH9

Quote Originally Posted by esbrennan21
    I downloaded the package to install the RH9 version of Wine on my operating system. When I installed it, it said it was complete, however I can't seem to find the program in my menu. I'm fairly new to Linux, and was wondering if installed applications usually show up on the Start menu.
    I don't think it will show up in your start menu.

Linux Guru
    Wine has no start menu entry, no. It's just a wrapper program for Win32 executables. Go to a terminal and run something like "wine /path/to/windows/executable.exe" to start that program. It's also possible to set up the kernel to start Win32 executables with Wine, but I'm not sure how to do that, unfortunately. There's probably some info on it if you google for something like "kernel wine misc pe" (misc being the kernel's name for the arbitrary exec format handler and pe being the formal name of Win32 executables (Portable Executable - what a joke... :-/ )).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Wine has no start menu entry, no. It's just a wrapper program for Win32 executables. Go to a terminal and run something like "wine /path/to/windows/executable.exe" to start that program. It's also possible to set up the kernel to start Win32 executables with Wine, but I'm not sure how to do that, unfortunately. There's probably some info on it if you google for something like "kernel wine misc pe" (misc being the kernel's name for the arbitrary exec format handler and pe being the formal name of Win32 executables (Portable Executable - what a joke... :-/ )).
    Yes this is how it works. It is not the kernel you have to configure to start with wine but you should inform the system about the header of the Windows exe files to launch with Wine, however many of those need params to work and these change with each wine version so read carefully and take a major known Wine version not any latest daily based.