Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've just installed wget downloader and it works, but i want to change the directory where donwloaded files are sotred. can somebody tell how can i do that??? and can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

wget default download directory

i've just installed wget downloader and it works, but i want to change the directory where donwloaded files are sotred. can somebody tell how can i do that???
    and can i also specify the donwload directory for each download when i'm starting it???

Quote Originally Posted by Runn3r.cze View Post
    i've just installed wget downloader and it works, but i want to change the directory where donwloaded files are sotred. can somebody tell how can i do that???
    and can i also specify the donwload directory for each download when i'm starting it???
    From this link
    Wget Manual - Invoking
    --directory-prefix=prefix'
    Set directory prefix to prefix. The directory prefix is the directory where all other files and subdirectories will be saved to, i.e. the top of the retrieval tree. The default is `.' (the current directory).
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

ok thx. this works for the actual download, but can i also set up the default directory where the files will be download when i don't specify the directory prefix? i usually don't want to use the current one...

I don't know a whole lot about wget, and I haven't read the entire tutorial that I linked to, but you could try this
    Put an ampersand (&) behind the wget command
    cd /where/you/want/downloads/
    wget http://somefiles.com/filename &
    This will cause wget to run in the background, and also it will free up the command line so you can change to a different directory, or whatever.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I don't believe wget has this functionality built in but you can use an alias which will work just fine:

alias wget='wget --directory-prefix=prefix'

Change prefix with whatever you want

Put the alias command on .bashrc to make the change permanent
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums