Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to create a disk image of a ext3 partition so that it can be replicated in other systems. which image format is better? ISO or IMG or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Disk Imaging formats

Hi,
    I want to create a disk image of a ext3 partition so that it can be replicated in other systems. which image format is better? ISO or IMG or BIN? Any leads to start from?

Bharath

Just an exact bit per bit copy of the partition in a file may be what you are looking for.
    According to your previous post you will be using dd to make the backup, it doesn't need an extension to know what to do, it will just copy every bit from the partition and put it on a file
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    but what if i give the output as .iso or .img? does it still do the same thing or creates an iso/img image?

It does exactly the same, file extensions on Linux usually doesn't matter at all
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums