K3b .iso images problem
I encountered some weird problem which I cannot understand. I downloaded iso-image of 64-bit SuSE 10.2 DVD from the site of Novell, the md5sum is correct (dfded111c6a79d3efcf04b9c390f59f9)
Next, I start burning it with K3b, after 30 min the disk is ready, but after checking md5sum get the wrong value
Now switch to root and start the process -again get the wrong value for md5sum.
Next, repeat burning at the lowest possible speed (2.1 Mb/s)--again get the wrong value.
But the most interesting is that in all three cases I get the same wrong value (b3d4cfea8555fff97a335ee6b7801736)
I am using SUSE 10.2 32bit version on IBM Thinkpad laptop,
TSSTcorp CD/DVDRW TS-L532A
[I wanted 64-bit version for the recently bought Desktop].
If in all three cases I got different md5sums, I would say that this is a problem of DVD writer. But each time I got the same wrong values, which is totally confusing for me.
Could anybody please explain me what is wrong ???
Are you absolutely positive you are reading the correct md5sums? Did you get the md5sums from the same directory as the image you downloaded?
Are you using the k3b checker? I can't remember right off hand, but I seem to recall k3b doesn't use md5sums, I think it uses sha1sums.
Yes I am sure. The problem is NOT with downloading--downloaded image has correct md5sum.
The problem is that when I burn image, every time I get the same wrong value for the md5sum of the disk. I run md5sum directly from the command line, "md5sum /dev/hdc" or "md5sum -b /dev/hdc".
As for K3b: yes indeed it uses Md5sum .I have K3b version 0.12.17: cdrecord:: v.2.1.1a03, md5sum version 6.4.
Since the last post I tried to copy the old data CD--to check the DVD writer--and I get correct value for md5sums. The problem is with one particular disk.
Don't know what was the source of the problem-all the log files are clean, no errors/warnings.
(1) Under SUSE there is no cdrecord, there is a symbolic link to another program called "wodim"
(2) It was possible to burn the DVDs from command line with
Made 2 copies without any problem with md5sum.
cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc speed=44 driveropts=burnproof -eject -v OpenSUSE10.2-64bit.iso
Suspect this might be a problem of K3b.
Glad you solved it!! WOOT!
Originally Posted by Xaleandr
On my machine, (Gentoo), K3b uses cdrecord, I had never heard of wodim, but it is installed too. You can change the k3b settings to use cdrecord, under external settings.