i'm following online instructions to install Mplayer but it does not like me bzip2 properly..
after using the bzip2 command (bzip2 -cd all-20041107.tar.bz2) I get errors like this:
this is just a small part of the whole output.
- unable to initialize heap
- not enough space for lowio initialization
- not enough space for stdio initialization
- pure virtual function call
- not enough space for _onexit/atexit table
- unable to open console device
- unexpected heap error
- unexpected multithread lock error
- not enough space for thread data
abnormal program termination
- not enough space for environment
- not enough space for arguments
- floating point not loaded
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Any ideas on what to do?
It outputs to stdout, which is most of the times your console. Using bzip2 you will at the best create an uncompressed tar file, which you'll have to untar as well.
to do the two things with one command.
tar -xjvf <name-of-tar.bz2>
only use bzip2 to extract a file that ends with .bz2
For files ending in tar.bz2 or tar.gz, it's a lot simpler to just run these commands:
For tar.bz2, replace the % with j and with tar.gz replace the % with z:
If you want it to extract to a specific directory instead of the current one, add "-C DIRECTORY" to the command.