When I installed xmonad 0.8, I copied the template config file to ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs, changed some setttings, and recompiled xmonad. Everything was fine up till this point. Then I started the X server with xmonad and xmonad used the default settings although it appeared to find the config file.
Any ideas on how I could fix this?
It's probably your configuration which is not correct. When that happens, xmonad reverts to the default config.
Originally Posted by lexion
Note that most configs on the xmonad web site are for older versions of the WM. Since it's haskell based, and the config file is really a source file written in haskell, it's very likely that an older config will not compile against a newer version of xmonad sources.
You most likely need to redo your config, modify it to work with your xmonad version.
EDIT: I suggest you to subscribe and ask on the xmonad mailing lists, since xmonad is nothing near a mainstream WM, and very few persons will be able to help around here, I guess. I use it since some months and I am very pleased with it, but I now very little about haskell and the help I can give you is limited by my short experience.