Resolved but not really Solved
THIS IS AN UPDATE
Originally Posted by blinky
XSANE NEEDS A LOT MORE MORE ON THIS:
Based on responses to my original post I retested my approach and found the following to be true and accurate:
1. I reexamined my negative and found it was Fuji and not Kodak so I changed the transparency type to Fuji negative.
2. I scanned for preview and opened up the batch Window and selected only the negative I wanted.
3. I found and clicked the negative button and then did the scan. It was as bluish mask and not orange.
4. I opened it up in Gimp and did Colors>Invert and I got a very poor looking very grainy result with extra poor white balance but it was a positive.
5. I then did a Colors>Auto Equialize and there was some improvement but it still looked lousey.
6. I then did a Filter Despecle and there was about a 60 to 70% reduction in grain but it was still a poor result.
7. I then did a auto white balance and the result was greenish yellow and looked even worse so I did an undo.
8. I then played with curves and staturation and got it as good as I know how.
Bottom line it was still very poor and not worth the time.
Unfortunately I had to boot up Windows
I booted up Windows and scanned the negative using Epson scanning sotware and it came out like a nice looking positive. I did some editing in Photoshop as far as clearing out artifacts because PS has a healing brush and adjustment layers and some better tools but a horrible GUI.
I saved in PSD, rebooted Linux and opened it up in Gimp. I did the finish work in Gimp and some more color correcting and printed in Gimp on Illford Classic Perl and the result was just strikingly great.
Thanks for all of your help and the links you helped me find. It is too bad I still need Windows lurking on my computer.