Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
after having problems with the new Ubuntu i desided to chage distros i choice arch and may i say wow it is amazing if the installer was a bit more ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Arch linux wow

after having problems with the new Ubuntu i desided to chage distros i choice arch and may i say wow it is amazing

if the installer was a bit more newbie friendly i really think this distro could take the ubuntu grown and be number one on distrowatch

pacman what apt-get wishes it was

just my 2 cents
    Oxtail75
    I Live In a Linux household the only windows i own are the ones u look out of

Arch with Gnome (Desktop)
    Arch with fluxbox (Laptop)
    FreeBSD 6 (Server)
    CENTOS 5 (the other 4 PCS)
    Linux user number 447395

I'm glad you like it, oxtail75. I like it too.

I switched to Arch about 8 months ago. I still keep Fedora around but use Arch on a day to day basis. It really is very powerful and simple. KISS is the Arch philosophy. That could explain why the installer is the way it is. The distribution is intended for more experienced users so it assumes you can handle a text-based install. However, even if you're new to Linux you should be able to get it up and running just by following the Installation Guide on the Wiki or even the newbie guide. After reading those 2 articles, anyone should be able to install and use Arch.

Linux Newbie
    thrillhouse may i ask your set up gnome kde and any hints u have about it
    Oxtail75

FreeBSD 6 (Server)
    Linux user number 447395

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have been using Arch for a year now, only OS I use and I love it, couldnt ask for a better distro.

Another one of the best things about Arch is the Arch Wiki. It contains instructions for virtually anything you want to install/configure on Arch. Here are the directions for Gnome and here are the directions for KDE. Good luck and let us know if there are any problems.

oz
    forum.guy
    I've been running Arch as my default distro for almost 3 years now and have seen no reason to switch to anything else. I do still try out various distros as they are released, but I'm usually back to Arch within 3 or 4 days. Arch has been the only distro that kept me hooked for more than about 6 months. The others that kept me for a while were Slackware, and Debian.

I find Arch easier to work with than any other distro. Of course, it's not for everyone, and most users either love it, or hate it.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    yes the wiki is excellent and i no i have only used it for a few day but i find it extremly stable i really do love this distro this is the best i have ever tried
    Oxtail75

FreeBSD 6 (Server)
    Linux user number 447395

just two cents from a noob. I've been running Ubuntu 7.10 and I'm thinking about diving into Arch as a project. I already do everything from the command line anyways and I really want a distro that I make to backflips if I command it too. anyways, it's good to hear good things about this distro, but as I am still a noob all around, you can expect to see me hanging around the arch forum a lot over the next couple of days (the advice above has already proven useful!)

Good luck, LinuxZealot. I'm sure you'll like it. Just remember to use that Wiki and be sure to follow the install guide. Arch is very simple but also very powerful.

oz
    forum.guy
    If you have a good internet connection, I'd recommend the FTP install, then install only the packages you want/need. The FTP iso file is only about 30 MB, so it's quick and easy.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast