Find the answer to your Linux question:
basically after shutting down or restarting from linux the BIOS fails at loading any settings including the default BIOS settings and requires the power to be disconnected to fix, only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bios problem?

basically after shutting down or restarting from linux the BIOS fails at loading any settings including the default BIOS settings and requires the power to be disconnected to fix, only happens in current arch install, Windows and liveCD's dont cause the problem

Well, umm how old is the PC?
    The only time I got this Problem the cmos was empty (My First Encounter with that)
    Arch doenst (or shouldnt) write to the BIOS.
    Maybe you should try another Distro if your BIOS isnt 100% Compatable with ArchLinux. (Small Advice if you like Arch, take a look at Debian, Zenwalk and Gentoo..)
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Quote Originally Posted by RobinVossen View Post
    Well, umm how old is the PC?
    The only time I got this Problem the cmos was empty (My First Encounter with that)
    Arch doenst (or shouldnt) write to the BIOS.
    Maybe you should try another Distro if your BIOS isnt 100% Compatable with ArchLinux. (Small Advice if you like Arch, take a look at Debian, Zenwalk and Gentoo..)
    The motherboard its self is only 6 months old and of course the rest of the machine tends to get newer parts as time goes on etc. Arch has been running on this machine a while now and it's been fine its a sudden problem that's appeared out of the blue so it's definitely not a compatibility problem. Have tried Debian and Gentoo before but I think the problem may be a change in the newer kernels. Maybe will have to solve this problem with reinstalling
    Thanks for the reply though

Yea, try reinstalling (thats like 40 minutes in Arch anyhow )
    if the problem keeps comming up we have to find another way..

Cheers,
    Robin
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..