Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by techzilla that would be the absolute first thing to change display issue or not. try not to give that advise again. no offence Could you post any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by techzilla
    that would be the absolute first thing to change display issue or not.
    try not to give that advise again. no offence
    Could you post any link, developer's suggestion to verify this?
    I have more than 50 machines in my lab and most of those have Via, Intel or Sis cards. None of native driver work well in those machines except "vesa".
    Please search LinuxForums too. You will find a lot of threads where vesa has sorted out problems.
    I agree that vesa doesn't support 3D but it works much better than sis or via in most of machine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by techzilla View Post
    The vesa driver is not supposed to be used unless nessesary, it can not properly queary all graphic cards. (It's also completely unaccelerated and has not even the most basic 2d optimizations)

that would be the absolute first thing to change display issue or not.
    try not to give that advise again. no offence
    Before reformatting I ran the vaio with vesa driver at correct resolution, no problems. Not sure what the deal was this time around.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Could you post any link, developer's suggestion to verify this?
    "vesa(4) - Linux man page;
    It can drive most VESA-compatible video cards, but only makes use of the basic standard VESA core that is common to these cards."

in the old days of video card, it was critical to be VESA-compatible, now a days most new cards DO NOT conform to VESA standards 100%.

I agree that vesa doesn't support 3D but it works much better than sis or via in most of machine.
    for starters if you read my post i never mentioned 3D, but the more basic 2D optimizations. which can drive a gui like night and day. when you say "works much better" you must be meaning compatability (in your case) becasue the VIA/SIS/Intel/I810x drivers allow use of the more advanced 2D features of their cards.

this diffrence is practicly common sence if you have ever ran the Xorg in vesa and then the correct card specific driver, the performance increases tenfold (speaking 2D, but obvously 3D goes without saying)

Quote Originally Posted by techzilla
    this diffrence is practicly common sence if you have ever ran the Xorg in vesa and then the correct card specific driver, the performance increases tenfold (speaking 2D, but obvously 3D goes without saying)
    Have you read my post correctly? I have more that 50 machines in my Lab and I have tried to use via and sis drivers several times. I switch vesa to sis/via on every upgrade/update but it have never worked.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2