Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I had a pretty new post I put up, and the flying spaghetti monster made it disappear. In summary, (a) where can I find the "full" 550 MB ISO install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] oh, nuisance

I had a pretty new post I put up, and the flying spaghetti monster made it disappear.
    In summary,
    (a) where can I find the "full" 550 MB ISO install image? All the mirror sites I see don't have anything but "core" and "ftp." I want some things from "full" that I can't get to w/o internet, and the computer i'm installing to has no access.
    (b)How do you install binaries in Arch?
    (c)Is there a *.tar.bz file for JDK?

Sorry for the short version, but I'm kinda busy....

Linux Newbie
    Heh, yeah I feel stupid about the .bin files now. I never actually saw anything talking about binaries, though (although I guess that kinda is a "duh"). I was messing around with my labrat computer (it's practically dead anyways, so I'm not scared of messing it up) and found that .bin files are self-executing as well. I =! l33t

Anyways, I have the .bin for Java (thus no nead for tar.bz) and recent evils have defeated my need for JDK.... but I wouldn't mind if someone could tell me where to find the full ISO for Arch. Thanks again

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't think the full install is offered any longer. I think it's just a core install, or an ftp install as the only options, now.

Maybe someone will correct if that's wrong.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Oh, well... maybe I can find all the files and put them on a disc. Even if not, I'm having fun playing with command line. I'll be using it to practice java and C++ when I get the urge, but is there anything else worthwile to do without gui? forgive my lack of imagination, please, but what can I do besides play old text based RPGs and whatnot?

If you're just looking for something fun to do on the command line that would help you learn, try setting up this machine as a LAMP server or SSH server. There are great entries in the Arch Wiki for both.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    If you're just looking for something fun to do on the command line that would help you learn, try setting up this machine as a LAMP server or SSH server.
    Uhh... actually, I wouldn't mind, in fact I really want to get into server studies, but house rules dictate that I am not to connect a computer in my room to the network/internet (I feel like a five-year-old sometimes...). I suppose I could still set them up, especially since I don't even know what a LAMP server is (heh, sounds cool, though). Any other ideas?

LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, Mysql and PHP. A lot of web servers run in a LAMP environment.

Well, technically you wouldn't have to connect this machine to the Internet. You could put it on its own network that's not connected to the Internet and use another machine to check your handiwork (i.e. see if you can view web pages in a browser or log into the machine through SSH). But it seems like that would come close to violating the house rule. Another thing to try is to improve your scripting skills. Bash and Perl would come in handy once you do get around to learning about servers.

Linux Newbie
    Alrighty then. I'll probably attempt to setup said servers just for fun (I can "illegally" connect it to the network, but I have no domain over the DHCP, not to mention my dad has the router set up so only certain MAC-address can access its DHCP and anything else it does) and test said settings with this computer. I was already planning on practicing C++ and Java, so I guess learning Perl and other scripting languages wouldn't be a bad idea either. Thanks to the both of you!

oz
    forum.guy
    Hey, ryokimball...

I ran across a mirror with an older version of Arch still residing on it and it has the full install on the ISO file:

SourceForge.net: Files

It's version 7.1 if that's not too old for you.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    You are in luck, ryokimball...

Here's the Don't Panic version:

http://ftp.sun.ac.za/ftp/pub/iso-ima...ic.current.iso

I have no idea how long it will be on this server.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast