Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I'm wondering, how do you set default applications, preferably en masse but per application would be usable too. The problem I'm having is that Thunderbird won't seem to load ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Default applications

Hello! I'm wondering, how do you set default applications, preferably en masse but per application would be usable too. The problem I'm having is that Thunderbird won't seem to load anything but Nautilus. (I like firefox....)
    Any hits?

Have you tried setting firefox as the default browser from in firefox ... in edit->preferences ?

Linux Newbie
    Yes, actually. I usually wouldn't think of such things, but somehow I did think to check this.
    I have noticed that other applications, or at least Pidgin, does open links in FireFox, but that just makes me more curious about Thunderbird's actions....
    Oh, and it is Epiphany, not Nautilus --sorry.

Can you clarify a little bit? Do you want to set default applications for file types within your Desktop Environment or within an application (Firefox/Thunderbird)? If it's the former, which DE are you using? Gnome, I'm guessing?

Linux Newbie
    Sorry I haven't been atentive --I've been offline for some time now. I am running Openbox by itself; I just boot to shell and "startx" with .xinitrc set to "exec openbox-session." I thought I'd be wanting a general change, but it seems that Thunderbird and firefox have a few problems working with each other (I don't get that...). I'm looking at the ArchWiki site that Jonathan linked to, which should do the trick (thanks!), but is there a way to do a gernal setting within Openbox?

Once again, sorry for not being clear, and thanks for your answers none the less.